6th Regiment, Connecticut InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 6th Regiment Connecticut Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut and muster in the 12th of September, 1861. This regiment was mustered out of service August 21, 1865 in New Haven, Connecticut.
For more information on the 6th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - Cadwell, Charles K., The old Sixth regiment, its war record, 1861-5, (New Haven: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, printers, 1875) Online book at Internet Archive. Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082919, or FHL US/CAN Film 1491097.
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut.
Company A - Letters Home from the Civil War, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). The Civil War Archive
- Connecticut. Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864, (Hartford, Connecticut : Case, Lockwood, 1864), page 253. Available Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a, or FHL US/CAN Film 1550802.
- Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), page 285. Includes index. Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887. (10 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- The Civil War in the East, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 6th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Interment, Connecticut Civil War Grave Sites - 6th Connecticut Infantry, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Cemetery Records online
- 6th Connecticut Regiment Graves, Roster by Name and Company Roster by F.W. Chesson of Waterbury, Connecticut, (accessed 8 Mar 2011).
- The Stamford Historical Society, Inc., (accessed 8 Mar 2011). History and Roster
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More