6th Regiment, Minnesota InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry was organized at Camp Release and Fort Snelling, Minnesota on September 29 to November 20, 1862. It mustered out on August 19, 1865 at St. Paul, Minnesota.
For more information about this regiment see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) article on the 6th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archives. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) A brief history of the 6th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks. Also see the Dalby Database, a site from Minnesota, searchable by men, counties, regiments and companies.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Rootsweb. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) 6th Regiment history and a roster of the men from Wabasha county.
- The Civil War Index. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Website with detailed Minnesota regimental histories.
- MilitaryHistoryOnline, (accessed 9 December 2010) has submissions by people about their ancestors who served in the Civil War.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Carley, Kenneth, and Richard Moe. Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History. (Minnesota Historical Society Press, c2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google book (Not all pages are shown). WorldCat book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1488543. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News