6th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
From FamilySearch Wiki
m (moved 6th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry to 6th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederte): to distinguish from Union)
m (moved 6th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederte) to 6th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate): fixed mis-spelling)
Revision as of 16:11, 29 April 2011
- Completed its organization in November 1861, at Manassas, Virginia.
- The unit served in Robertson's, W. E. Jones', Lomax's, and Payne's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia.
- It fought in Jackson's Valley Campaign and in the conflicts at Second Manassas, Brandy Station, Upperville, Fairfield, Bristoe, Mine Run, The Wilderness, Todd's Tavern, Spotsylvania, Haw's Shop, and Cold Harbor.
- The regiment went on to take part in Early's Shenandoah Valley operations and the Appomattox Campaign.
- Only 3 men surrendered on April 9, 1865, as most of the cavalry cut through the Federal lines and later disbanded.
- Field officers: Colonels Charles W. Field, Thomas S. Flournoy, John S. Green, and Julien Harrison; Lieutenant Colonels J. Grattan Cabell and Daniel T. Richards; and Majors Cabell E. Flournoy and Daniel A. Grimsley.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Men of this unit were raised in Loudoun, Rappahannock, Clarke, Rockingham, Pittsylvania, Fairfax, Halifax, Fauquier, and Orange counties.
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News