70th Regiment, Ohio InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 70th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in October 14, 1861 at West Union, Ohio. They were mustered out August 14, 1865 at Little Rock, Arkansas. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 70th Ohio Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive section, 70th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 31 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Officers and staff - Roster
County information from: A History of Adams County, Ohio: From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, 1900. Page 344.
A detailed county listing from Steve Ward's Buckeyes All, Part III Revised, is given on Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War web page, 70th Ohio Infantry.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases
- Connelly, Thomas W. History of the Seventieth Ohio Regiment : from its organization to its mustering out. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118219 and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1988) FHL Fiche 1688764 Item 3
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Thomas Connelly, History of the Seventieth Ohio Regiment: from its Organization to its Mustering Out, Cincinnati, Ohio : Peak Bros., . Internet Archive; FHL fiche 6118219
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News