82nd Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 82nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Springfield, Illinois, and mustered in October 23, 1862. It marched to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Virginia from April 29-May 19, 1865 and mustered out June 16, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 82nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 82nd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
•The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 82nd Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from
Company B - many men from
Company C - many men from
Company D - many men from
Company E - many men from
Company F - many men from
Company G - many men from
Company H - many men from
Company I - many men from
Company K - many men from
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 82nd Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 76th-82nd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488478. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- Dluger, Marc A. A Regimental Community: The Men of the 82nd Illinois Infantry Before, During, and After the American Civil War. (Thesis (Ph.D.)--Loyola University, 2009, 2009). Library with this thesis.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News