84th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 84th Regiment, New York Infantry tendered services to Government and left Brooklyn for Washington, D. C., May 18, 1861 and mustered into United States service at Washington May 25, 1861. It mustered out June 14 to date June 6, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 84th Regiment Infantry "14th Brooklyn State Militia Infantry", (accessed 10 August 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 14th Regiment (New York State Militia), (accessed 10 August 2012).
The men in this regiment were principally recruited at Kings County.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Tevis, C. V. and Marquis, D. R. The history of the fighting fourteenth. (Books/Monographs/Book with Fiche) FHL 974.7 M2te
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 84th (1861-1864).Souvenir of the dedication of the Brooklyn Fourteenth Regiment monument on the battlefield of Gettysburg, Pa. Oct. 19th, 1888. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083775
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 84th (1861-1864). Dediction of monument to Fourteenth Brooklyn, N. Y. S. M. : (Eighty-Fourth N. Y. Vols.), Antietam, Md., September 17, 1915. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083777
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News