9th Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry (92nd Volunteers)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at Harrisburg October and November, 1861. It mustered out July 18, 1865. This regiment was also known as the Lochiel Cavalry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field and Staff Officers - See Roster
Regimental Band - See Roster
Company A - Men recruited in Perry County - See Roster
Company B - Men recruited in Dauphin County - See Roster
Company C - Men recruited in Harrisburg, Dauphin County - See Roster
Company D - Men recruited in Luzerne County - See Roster
Company E - Men recruited in Dauphin County and Susquehanna County - See Roster
Company F- Men recruited in Lancaster County - See Roster
Company G - Men recruited in Lancaster County - See Roster
Company H - Men recruited in Cumberland County - See Roster
Company I - Men recruited in Cumberland County - See Roster
Company K - Men recruited in Dauphin County and Luzerne County - See Roster
Company L - Men recruited in Luzerne County, Mifflin County, and Northampton County - See Roster
Company M - Men recruited in Huntingdon County - See Roster
Unassigned Men - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- "Lochiel Cavalry" 9th Regiment (92nd Volunteers) website. Gives history of organization and outline of battles for this Regiment. (accessed September 7, 2011)
- Rowell, John W. "Yankee Cavalrymen: Through the Civil War with the Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry" (Knoxville, [TN]: University of Tennessee Press, 1971). FHL Book 974.8 M2ro. Other Libraries.
- PaRoots gives a history of the regiment and its battles. Includes rosters and additional references.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More