Abinger, Surrey GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Abinger, Surrey family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
'ABINGER St. James, a parish, in the union of Dorking, First division of the hundred of Wotton, W. division of Surrey, 4½ miles southwest and west of Dorking. The parish includes a small hamlet called Hammer.'
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|BO = BritishOrigins.com (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ABINGER PARISH (1559) Online Records|
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474667.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A. A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 5-9. Date accessed: 26 May 2010.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Surrey Marriage Index - Parishes in the index,' British Origins, accessed 18 September 2012.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- ↑ Batches P013371, C013372-C013373, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ Batches M013371, M013373, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News