Achill Civil Parish, County Mayo

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(History)
Line 7: Line 7:
 
=== History<br> ===
 
=== History<br> ===
  
ACHILL, a parish, in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 14 miles (W.) from Newport-Pratt; containing 5277 inhabitants. This district comprehends the islands of Achill and Achillbeg, and the peninsula of Coraan Achill. The island of Achill, which is the largest off the Irish coast, is situated in the Atlantic Ocean, and is separated from the mainland by a narrow sound, of which the southern part, at a place called Pollyranney, is fordable at low water. It is bounded on the north by Blacksod and on the south by Clew bays, and is 16 miles in length and about 7 miles in breadth, forming a line of coast about 80 miles in circuit, and comprising 46,401 statute acres, chiefly the property of Sir Richard A. O'Donnell, Bart., and partly belonging to the Marquess of Sligo. The western side is mostly a precipitous range of cliffs, but the eastern is in every part well sheltered. Achill Head, a bold promontory, is situated on the southwestern extremity of the island, in lat. 53° 58' 30" (N.), and lon. 10° 12' 20" (W.); and at the northern extremity is Saddle Head, at the entrance of Blacksod bay. Between this and the smaller island of Achillbeg, which is described under its own head, is a channel called Achill Hole, where vessels drawing ten or twelve feet of water may ride in safety in all states of the weather.
+
ACHILL, '''a parish''', in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 14 miles (W.) from Newport-Pratt; containing 5277 inhabitants. This district comprehends the islands of Achill and Achillbeg, and the peninsula of Coraan Achill. The island of Achill, which is the largest off the Irish coast, is situated in the Atlantic Ocean, and is separated from the mainland by a narrow sound, of which the southern part, at a place called Pollyranney, is fordable at low water. It is bounded on the north by Blacksod and on the south by Clew bays, and is 16 miles in length and about 7 miles in breadth, forming a line of coast about 80 miles in circuit, and comprising 46,401 statute acres, chiefly the property of Sir Richard A. O'Donnell, Bart., and partly belonging to the Marquess of Sligo. The western side is mostly a precipitous range of cliffs, but the eastern is in every part well sheltered. Achill Head, a bold promontory, is situated on the southwestern extremity of the island, in lat. 53° 58' 30" (N.), and lon. 10° 12' 20" (W.); and at the northern extremity is Saddle Head, at the entrance of Blacksod bay. Between this and the smaller island of Achillbeg, which is described under its own head, is a channel called Achill Hole, where vessels drawing ten or twelve feet of water may ride in safety in all states of the weather.  
  
The peninsula of Coraan Achill, also called the Hook of Achill, lies to the east of the island, and is connected with the mainland by the narrow isthmus of Pollyranney; a powerful tide runs in the sound at the narrows called the Bull's Mouth. The surface is very elevated, rising into lofty eminences, of which the highest is the hill of Coraan, 2254 feet above the level of the sea. There is but little arable land, which is chiefly in the valleys and near the shore. In addition to the mountains of Coraan and Slievemore is Menal Hill, on which is a precipice rising abruptly from the sea to the height of 700 feet. Till within the last fifteen years there were no roads in this retired district; the Sound is about a mile across, and a house has been built and a ferry boat established, for the accommodation of travellers. There are several good and safe harbours; and the Fishery Board built a landing pier at this place. Keel is a coastguard station, and is one of the six that constitute the district of Newport; and at Dugarth there is another, which is one of the six included in the district of Belmullet.
+
The peninsula of Coraan Achill, also called the Hook of Achill, lies to the east of the island, and is connected with the mainland by the narrow isthmus of Pollyranney; a powerful tide runs in the sound at the narrows called the Bull's Mouth. The surface is very elevated, rising into lofty eminences, of which the highest is the hill of Coraan, 2254 feet above the level of the sea. There is but little arable land, which is chiefly in the valleys and near the shore. In addition to the mountains of Coraan and Slievemore is Menal Hill, on which is a precipice rising abruptly from the sea to the height of 700 feet. Till within the last fifteen years there were no roads in this retired district; the Sound is about a mile across, and a house has been built and a ferry boat established, for the accommodation of travellers. There are several good and safe harbours; and the Fishery Board built a landing pier at this place. Keel is a coastguard station, and is one of the six that constitute the district of Newport; and at Dugarth there is another, which is one of the six included in the district of Belmullet.
 +
 
 +
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £100. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe: divine service is performed at the house of the Achill mission, at Dugarth, twice every Sunday, in the English and Irish languages.'''''In the R. C. divisions this forms a separate and distinct parish: there are two places of worship, one at Kildavenet and the other at Dookenella''''', but no regular chapel has been built. There are schools at Dugarth, Slievemore, Keel, and Cashel, in which about 380 children receive instruction; also two pay schools, in which are 80 boys and 6 girls. There are remains of old churches, with burial-grounds attached, at Kildurnet and Slievemore; and at the former place are also the remains of an ancient castle, which originally belonged to Grace O'Malley.
  
 
From: Lewis, Samuel A., '''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''' (1837); accessed at http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Achill-Burrishoole-Mayo.php, 8 Sep 2011.
 
From: Lewis, Samuel A., '''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''' (1837); accessed at http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Achill-Burrishoole-Mayo.php, 8 Sep 2011.
 +
 
=== Localities<br> ===
 
=== Localities<br> ===
  

Revision as of 20:42, 8 September 2011

Ireland Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Gotoarrow.png Achill Civil Parish

The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Achill. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.

Contents

Historical Overview

History

ACHILL, a parish, in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 14 miles (W.) from Newport-Pratt; containing 5277 inhabitants. This district comprehends the islands of Achill and Achillbeg, and the peninsula of Coraan Achill. The island of Achill, which is the largest off the Irish coast, is situated in the Atlantic Ocean, and is separated from the mainland by a narrow sound, of which the southern part, at a place called Pollyranney, is fordable at low water. It is bounded on the north by Blacksod and on the south by Clew bays, and is 16 miles in length and about 7 miles in breadth, forming a line of coast about 80 miles in circuit, and comprising 46,401 statute acres, chiefly the property of Sir Richard A. O'Donnell, Bart., and partly belonging to the Marquess of Sligo. The western side is mostly a precipitous range of cliffs, but the eastern is in every part well sheltered. Achill Head, a bold promontory, is situated on the southwestern extremity of the island, in lat. 53° 58' 30" (N.), and lon. 10° 12' 20" (W.); and at the northern extremity is Saddle Head, at the entrance of Blacksod bay. Between this and the smaller island of Achillbeg, which is described under its own head, is a channel called Achill Hole, where vessels drawing ten or twelve feet of water may ride in safety in all states of the weather.

The peninsula of Coraan Achill, also called the Hook of Achill, lies to the east of the island, and is connected with the mainland by the narrow isthmus of Pollyranney; a powerful tide runs in the sound at the narrows called the Bull's Mouth. The surface is very elevated, rising into lofty eminences, of which the highest is the hill of Coraan, 2254 feet above the level of the sea. There is but little arable land, which is chiefly in the valleys and near the shore. In addition to the mountains of Coraan and Slievemore is Menal Hill, on which is a precipice rising abruptly from the sea to the height of 700 feet. Till within the last fifteen years there were no roads in this retired district; the Sound is about a mile across, and a house has been built and a ferry boat established, for the accommodation of travellers. There are several good and safe harbours; and the Fishery Board built a landing pier at this place. Keel is a coastguard station, and is one of the six that constitute the district of Newport; and at Dugarth there is another, which is one of the six included in the district of Belmullet.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £100. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe: divine service is performed at the house of the Achill mission, at Dugarth, twice every Sunday, in the English and Irish languages.In the R. C. divisions this forms a separate and distinct parish: there are two places of worship, one at Kildavenet and the other at Dookenella, but no regular chapel has been built. There are schools at Dugarth, Slievemore, Keel, and Cashel, in which about 380 children receive instruction; also two pay schools, in which are 80 boys and 6 girls. There are remains of old churches, with burial-grounds attached, at Kildurnet and Slievemore; and at the former place are also the remains of an ancient castle, which originally belonged to Grace O'Malley.

From: Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Achill-Burrishoole-Mayo.php, 8 Sep 2011.

Localities

List the names of townlands in this civil parish List the names of the surrounding parishes List the names and give a description of a district, poor law union, etc.

Maps and gazetteers

Add a Web site link for a map or gazetteer site, and/or add a printed source. Read more about maps and gazetteers.

Records

Cemeteries

Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.

Census

The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.

Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.

Church records

Read general information about church records.

Catholic

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Church of Ireland

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Presbyterian

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Methodist

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Society of Friends

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Others

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Civil Registration

Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.

Land records

The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.

Probate records

Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.

Add information about probate records for this parish.

School records

Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.

Tax records

The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.

Web Sites

Add a site for this civil parish.

Further Reading

Add sources here.