Adair County, Oklahoma Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
m (Text replace - "Family History Library Catalog" to "FamilySearch Catalog")
m (Cat the title of the page should not be a category for that page)
|Line 125:||Line 125:|
Revision as of 03:35, 5 August 2014
This article is about a northwest Oklahoma county. For other uses, see Adair.
Adair County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Adair County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|Address|| Adair County Courthouse|
2nd and Division Streets
P.O. Box 169
Stillwell, Oklahoma 74960-0169
Adair County Courthouse
2nd & Division Streets; PO Box 169
Stilwell, OK 74960-0169
Clerk Court has marriage, divorce, probate, and court records
from 1907; County Assessor has land records
1907--Adair County was created 16 July 1907 from Cherokee Lands. County seat: Stilwell 
For animated maps illustrating Oklahoma County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oklahoma County Boundary Maps" (1819-1912) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Benton County, Arkansas
- Crawford County, Arkansas
- Washington County, Arkansas
- Adair County Oklahoma Cemeteries
A complete list of available online transcriptions and gravestone photos for Adair County Oklahoma cemeteries.
For tips on accessing Adair County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Adair County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
- Muskogee and Northeastern Oklahoma: including the counties of Muskogee, McIntosh, Wagoner, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Adair, Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Washington, Nowata, Craig, and Ottawa. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1922
- Map of 1922 Adair County, Oklahoma with numerous small settlements. (My Genealogy Hound)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adair County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Oklahoma, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Oklahoma - Adair - Probate records.
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Adair County, OK History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oklahoma Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Adair County, Oklahoma. Page 557 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News