African American For Further ReadingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
For more detailed information on records and research African American ancestors, see:
- Curt Bryan Witcher, African American Genealogy: a Bibliography and Guide to Sources (Fort Wayne, Ind. : Round Tower Books, 2000). WorldCat entry.
- James M. Rose, and Alice Eichholz, Black Genesis: a Resource Book for African-American Genealogy, 2nd ed. (Baltimore, Md. : Genealogical Pub., 2003).WorldCat entry.
- Donna Beasley, Family Pride: the Complete Guide to Tracing African-American Genealogy (New York : Macmillan USA, ©1997). WorldCat entry.
- The Newberry Library, African American Genealogy lists sources and helps for African American research.
Many presentations from the recent AAHGS (Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society) conference will soon be freely available for video streaming and downloading. These include the following:
- Dr. Quintard Taylor, Jr., Author and Professor of American History, University of Washington
Presentation: Roots West: African American History in the Trans-Mississippi West
- Mary Hill, Author and accredited genealogist for Southern and Eastern States
Presentation: Finding Records of Your Ancestors: 1870 to Present
- Beth Wilson, Reference librarian for land records, African-American genealogy, and documentation research
Presentation: Trails Back: Tracing Ancestors in Slavery through Census, Probate, and Land Research
- Dr. Spencer Crew, Director of the National Museum of American History, Washington, D.C.
Presentation: National Underground Railroad Freedom Center: Activities and Accomplishments
- Angela Walton Raji, Author and avid African–Native American genealogist (See also African Roots Podcast)
Presentation: Beyond the Dawes Rolls: Black Indian Ancestry East of the Mississippi
- Adele Marcum, Professional genealogist and content specialist
Presentation: Where Should I Start? Beginning Research on Ancestry.com
- Howard Dodson, Chief, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture at the New York Public Library
Presentation: To be announced