Agencies of the Bureau of Indian AffairsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In the United States, the office which created and maintained the largest amount of records of the American Indians was the field office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), known as the Office of Indian Affairs until 1947, called the agency. Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs in the United States are administrative offices supervising the relationship between and among American Indians and others. Usually an agency operated on a reservation and was responsible for only that reservation. Occasionally, an agency had responsibility for several groups of Native Americans.
Some field offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs did not achieve the level of agency, but operated as a sub-agency, reporting to an agency, a school, or a superintendency of the BIA or sometimes as an independent office reporting to a superintendency or to the Commissioner's Office in Washington, DC..
Pages for individual agencies are listed alphabetically under the category of "American Indian Agencies." They are also cross-referenced under the topic "American Indians" for each state. Pages for individual sub-agencies are listed alphabetically under the category of "American Indian Subagencies" and are cross-referenced under the topic of "American Indians" for each state where they existed.
|Alaska Agency, 1873-74||Indiana Agency, 1824-50||Raccoon River Agency, 1843-45|
|Blackfeet Agency, 1855-69||Kansas Agency, 1851-76||Red Cloud Agency, 1871-80|
|Caddo Agency, 1824-42||Kickapoo Agency, 1855-76||Sac and Fox Agency, 1824-80|
|Cherokee Agency, 1824-80||Kiowa Agency, 1864-80||St. Peters Agency, 1824-70|
|Cheyenne & Arapahoe Agency, 1875-80||La Point Agency, 1831-50, 1855-1880||Santa Fe Agency, 1849-51|
|Cheyenne River Agency, 1871-80||Lower Brule Agency, 1875-76||Santee Sioux Agency, 1871-76|
|Chicago Agency. 1824-47||Mackinac Agency, 1828-80||Sault Ste. Marie Agency, 1824-52|
|Chickasaw Agency, 1824-70||Nebraska Agency, 1876-80||Seminole Agency, 1824-76|
|Chippewa Agency, 1851-80||Neosho Agency, 1831-75||Seneca Agency in New York, 1824-32|
|Choctaw Agency, 1824-76||New York Agency, 1929-80||Shawnee Agency, 1855-76|
|Council Bluffs Agency, 1836-57||Ohio Agency, 1831-43||Sisseton Agency, 1867-80|
|Creek Agency, 1824-76||Omaha Agency, 1856-76||Six Nations Agency, 1824-34|
|Crow Creek Agency, 1871-76||Osage Agency, 1824-53, 1874-80||Spotted Tail Agency, 1875-80|
|Delaware Agency, 1855-73||Osage River Agency, 1824-71||Standing Rock Agency, 1875-80|
|Devil's Lake Agency, 1871-80||Ottawa Agency, 1863-73||Texas Agency, 1847-59|
|Flandreau Agency, 1873-76||Pawnee Agency, 1859-80||Union Agency, 1875-80|
|Fort Berthold Agency, 1867-80||Pima Agency, 1859-61||Upper Arkansas Agency, 1855-74|
|Fort Leavenworth Agency, 1824-51||Piqua Agency, 1824-30||Upper Missouri Agency, 1824-7|
|Fort Wayne Agency, 1824-30||Ponca Agency, 1859-80||Upper Platte Agency, 1846-70|
|Grand River Agency, 1871-75||Potawatomi Agency, 1851-80||Whetstone Aggency, 1871-74|
|Great Nemaha Agency, 1837-76||Prairie du Chien Agency, 1824-42||Wichita Agency, 1857-78|
|Green Bay Agency, 1824-80||Quapaw Agency, 1871-80||Winnebago Agency, 1826-76|
|Yankton Agency, 1859-76|
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998. Family History Library film 970.1 A3a
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981. Family History Library book 970.1 H551g ; film 6125461
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974. Family history Library book 970.1 H551o
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105. Family History Library US/CAN Film 1695747
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services.