Alachua County, Florida GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Alachua County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 29, 1824|
Alachua County Courthouse;
201 E University Ave; PO Box 600;
Gainesville, FL 32601;
County Clerk has incomplete marriage records from 1837
probate records from 1840, land records from 1848 & court records
1824-- Alachua County was created in 1824 by an act of the Florida Legislature. It was carved from portions of Duval and St. Johns Counties. Until 1843 its southernmost border was approximately Tampa Bay. While Gainesville is the current County seat, originally a town called Newnansville, located in the northeastern part of the County, was the seat of the county government.
The Second Seminole War slowed the growth of Newnansville and the railroad line bypassed the county seat by running in a diagonal line across the county resulting in a decision to move the county seat nearer the rail lines. This decision was made at a meeting at Boulware Springs on September 6, 1853, resulting in the creation of a new town to be called Gainesville nearer the center of commerce in Alachua County.
County seat: Gainesville 
In 1843 the northernmost portion of Hernando County was created from the southern most part of Alachua County.
In 1924 Gilchrist County was created from the western most portion of Alachua County
Alachua | Archer | Gainesville | Hawthorne | High Springs | LaCrosse | Micanopy | Newberry | Waldo Adams | Alachua II | Alackaway Tolofa | Arno | Arredondo | Arredondo Estates | Beckhamtown | Beville Heights | Bland | Buckingham West | Buda | Burnetts Lake | Cadillac | Campville | Chantilly Acres | Clark | Clinch | Copeland Settlement | Cross Creek | Daysville | Durant Estates | Earleton | Evinston | Fairbanks | Forest Grove | Green Grove | Grove Park | Hague | Haile Plantation | Hainesworth | Half Moon | Hasan | Idylwild | Island Grove | Jonesville | Kanapaha | Kincaid Hills | Kirkwood | Kreftwood Estates | Lake Alto Estates | Lakeview Estates | Lincoln Estates | Lochloosa | Los Trancos Woods | Louise | Malore Gardens | Melrose | Melton Manor | MIcanopy Junction | Monteocha | Newnans Lake Homesites | Newnansville | Northwood | Orange Heights | Paradise | Pine Hill Estates | Pinesville | Rex | Riceland | Robinson Heights | Robinswood | Rochelle | Rocky Point | Ruthland | Rutledge | San Francisco Potano | Santa Fe | Santa Fe Beach | Shadow Lawn Estates | Shannon Wood | Shenks | South Iyldwild | Spring Hill | Suburban Heights | Tacoma | Traxler | Wacahoota | Wade | West Hills | West Park | Wimberly Estates | Windsor
- FLGenWeb Project African-American Website
- Florida African American Griots Project - USGenWeb
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Alachua County FLGenWeb Cemetery Transcriptions
- Alachua County Virtual Cemeteries - by Jim Powel, Jr.
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Alachua County cemetery listings at Find-A-Grave
- Laurel Grove Cemetery, Waldo BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Alachua County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1850 & 1860 Census Indexes - Alachua County, FLGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Alachua County Commissioners Minutes - online database includes minutes from 1847-1992
- Misc. Records from Alachua County Courts
- Alachua County Partial Deed Index - 1826-1916
- Alachua County Index to Deed Records - comprehensive listing of indexes available from the clerk
- Florida Territorial Land Records
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
- Alachua County Mortgage Index - 1847-1869
- Alachua County Marriage Licenses - search licenses from 1837- May 1973
- Alachua County Will Record Books - from 1840-1974
- Florida State Archives
Societies and Libraries
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Alachua Clerk of the County Court
- The Alachua County FLGenWeb Project, a member of The FLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Alachua County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Alachua County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Alachua County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News