Alamance County, North Carolina Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(courthouse info)
Line 57: Line 57:
==== Court  ====
==== Court  ====
[ Alamance County Clerk of Court]
Physical Location:
Temporary Old Courthouse (formerly known as the Agricultural Building)<br>201 West Elm Street<br>Graham, NC 27253.
Mailing Address:
Old Courthouse<br>Alamance County Clerk of Superior Court<br>1 Court Square,<br>Graham, NC 27253.
Has Court Records starting from 1849 and Probate Records from 1832. &nbsp;
==== Land  ====
==== Land  ====

Revision as of 18:24, 16 April 2011

Alamance County, North Carolina
Map of North Carolina highlighting Alamance County
Location in the state of North Carolina
Map of the U.S. highlighting North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Founded 1849
County Seat Graham
Adopt-a-wiki page
Logonew small.gif This page adopted by:
NCGenWeb Project
who welcome you to contribute.
County Coordinator
Alamance Co. NCGenWeb
Adopt a page today

United States  Gotoarrow.png  North Carolina  Gotoarrow.png  Alamance County


County Courthouse

On July 17, 1849, the Alamance County Commissioners voted to spend $8,000 to construct a courthouse in a 75-acre (300,000 m2) area located approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) south of the Providence Church. The County Commissioners expected to pay for the courthouse through the sale of land in the new county seat of Graham. They also levied an ad valorem tax on property of 35.25 cents per $100 valuation and a poll tax of 73.75 cents.
The courthouse was constructed with brick for the sum of $6,400 and was opened in 1852. In 1888, 2 new wings were added to the courthouse and the exterior of the courthouse was stuccoed. The courthouse remained open until 1923, when the County Commissioners voted for a new courthouse to replace the over 70-year-old building. The original courthouse was demolished. The only remaining piece of the old courthouse is the 400 lb (180 kg) bell from the cupola, which currently resides at Sesquicentennial Park in Courthouse Square in Graham.

(from Wikipedia)


Alamance County was named after Great Alamance Creek, site of the Battle of Alamance (May 16, 1771). This pre-Revelutionary War battle in which militia under the command of Governor William Tryon crushed the Regulator movement. The Great Alamance Creek, and in turn the Little Alamance Creek, according to legend, were named after a local Native American word to describe the blue mud that was found at the bottom of the creeks. Other legends say that the name came from another local Native American word meaning "noisy river" or for the Alamanni region of Rhineland, Germany, where many of the early settlers would have come from. Before being formed as a county, the region had at least one known small Southeastern tribe of Native American in the 18th century - the Sissipahaw who lived in the area bound by modern Saxapahaw, the area known as the Hawfields, and Haw River in the county European settlers entered the region in the late 17th century chiefly following Native American trading paths, and set up their farms what they called the "Haw Old Fields", fertile ground previously tilled by the Sissipahaw. The paths later became the basis of the railroad and interstate highway routes.

(from Wikipedia)

Parent County

1849--Alamance County was created 29 January 1849 from Orange County. County seat: Graham [1]

Boundary Changes

Record Loss


Populated Places

Neighboring Counties





Alamance County Clerk of Court

Physical Location:

Temporary Old Courthouse (formerly known as the Agricultural Building)
201 West Elm Street
Graham, NC 27253.

Mailing Address:

Old Courthouse
Alamance County Clerk of Superior Court
1 Court Square,
Graham, NC 27253.


Has Court Records starting from 1849 and Probate Records from 1832.  


Local Histories






Vital Records


Societies and Libraries 

Web Sites


  1. The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).