Alaska: American IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Alaska is an Aleut word meaning "great land" or "that which the sea breaks against".
Tribes and Bands of Alaska
Ahtena, Aleut, Athapascan, Dihai-Kutchin, Eskimo, Haida, Han, Ingalik, Inupiat, Koyukon, Kutcha-Kutchin, Nabesna, Niska, Natsit-Kutchin, Tanaina, Tanana, Tennuth-Kutchin, Tlingit, Tranjik-Kutchin, Tsimshian, Vunta-Kutchin, Yupik
Inuit is used for Eskimos living in Canada.
- Annette Island Reservation; Federal, under the jurisdiction of Metlakatla Field Office, Tribes: Tsimposhian
- Craig Reeservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Prince of Wales Island, Tribe: Tlingit
- Hoonah Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Chicagof Island, Tribe: Tlingit
- Hydaburg Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Prince of Wales Island, Tribe: Haida
- Kake Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Kupreanof Island, Tribe: Tlingit
- Klawock Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Prince of Wales Island, Tribe: Tlingit
Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of Americna Indian reservations, Appendix E, Indian reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- Anchorage Agency
- Alaska Agency (5 April 1873- 24 May 1874, Fredrick S. Hall, agent)
- Bethel Agency
- Hone Agency
- Juneau Agency
- Southeast Agency Fairbanks
- Metlakatla F.O., P.O. Box 458, Metlakatla Field Station,
- Metlakatla, AK 99926
Family History Library
for a complete list of records search the FHLC by Tribe and Locality
- Records of Alaska Division of Bureau of Indian Affairs 1887-1933. (14 films M1333 1st film 1695285)
Alaska - Church for missions
Alaska_History for a calendar of events
Alaska - Military for a list of forts
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More