Alaska: American IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Alaska is an Aleut word meaning "great land" or "that which the sea breaks against".
Tribes and Bands of Alaska
Ahtena, Aleut, Athapascan, Dihai-Kutchin, Eskimo, Haida, Han, Ingalik, Inupiat, Koyukon, Kutcha-Kutchin, Nabesna, Niska, Natsit-Kutchin, Tanaina, Tanana, Tennuth-Kutchin, Tlingit, Tranjik-Kutchin, Tsimshian, Vunta-Kutchin, Yupik
Inuit is used for Eskimos living in Canada.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John W. The Indian Tribes of North America, http://wwwaccessgenealogy.com/native/alaska/index.htm Smithsonian Institution Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin #145, 1984.
- Annette Island Reservation; Federal, under the jurisdiction of Metlakatla Field Office, Tribes: Tsimposhian
- Craig Reeservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Prince of Wales Island, Tribe: Tlingit
- Hoonah Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Chicagof Island, Tribe: Tlingit
- Hydaburg Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Prince of Wales Island, Tribe: Haida
- Kake Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Kupreanof Island, Tribe: Tlingit
- Klawock Reservation: State, under the jurisdiction of Prince of Wales Island, Tribe: Tlingit
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of Americna Indian reservations, Appendix E, Indian reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- Anchorage Agency
- Alaska Agency (5 April 1873- 24 May 1874, Fredrick S. Hall, agent)
- Bethel Agency
- Hone Agency
- Juneau Agency
- Southeast Agency Fairbanks
- Metlakatla F.O., P.O. Box 458, Metlakatla Field Station,
- Metlakatla, AK 99926
- Hill, Edward E., The Office of Indian Affairs 1824-1880: Historical Sketches, Clearwater publishing Co., Inc., 1974
- (Edition for 1967 published under title: Historical sketches fro juisdictional and subject heading used for the letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-80.)
Family History Library
for a complete list of records search theFamily History Library Catalog by Tribe and Locality
- Records of Alaska Division of Bureau of Indian Affairs 1887-1933. (14 films M1333 1st film 1695285)
Alaska - Church for missions
Alaska_History for a calendar of events
Alaska - Military for a list of forts
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More