Albany, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The town of Albany was chartered on June 26, 1782 by the Vermont Legislature. The town was originally named Lutterloh after the first named grantee, Colonel Henry Emannuel Lutterloh, Washington's Deputy Quartermaster General of the Continental Army. The town was renamed Albany in 1815 and it includes four villages: the incorporated village of Albany, and the unincorporated villages of Albany Center, East Albany and South Albany. The population was 941 at the 2010 US Census.  
Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 10, Orleans County, vol. I, town of Albany, village of Albany, can be viewed online.
- History of Albany, Vermont, 1806-1991, by Virginia Wharton (1991) - find this book in a library.
- History and families of Albany, Vt. 1800-1949, by Adelia Darling Honey - find this book in a library.
- FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
- Family Research in Albany, Vermont
Orleans Probate Division
247 Main Street
Newport, VT · 05855
Phone: (802) 334-3305
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Albany. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Orleans County, website at this link.
- Albany Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Chamberlin Hill Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Hoovey Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Rowell Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Saint John of the Cross Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- South Albany Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Cemetery Records of the Albany, Vermont Cemetery Association, 1870-1970, inscriptions from the South Albany Burying Ground, the Rowell Cemetery, the Village Cemetery, Center Burying Ground, Chamberlin Hill Cemetery, and the East Albany Catholic Cemetery are available on microfilm at the Family History Library. Order film online.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1800 -2000, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Albany Town Clerk's Office. These include Vital records of Albany, Vermont, 1800-2000, and Land records, (Albany, Vermont); index to land records, 1806-1912, 1806-1914.
Albany Town Clerk
980 Main St.
P.O. Box 284
Albany, VT 05820
Phone: (802) 755-6100
Libraries and Historical Societies
Albany Public Library
530 Main St.
Albany, VT 05820
Phone: (802) 755-6107
Albany Historical Society
In Care of Paul Daniels
PO BOX 317
Albany, VT 05820-0317
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- ↑ About Albany, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/albany.html#about
- ↑ Albany, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/OrleansAlbany.html
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:38.
- This page has been accessed 554 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More