Alderley, Cheshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Alderley, St. Mary (C of E). An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Great Warford, Nether Alderley and Over Alderley. Registers of Baptisms 1629–1988, Marriages 1629–1992 and Burials 1629–1942 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office, where Bishop's Transcripts survive from 1599.
Alderley, a village, a township, and a parish in Cheshire. The village lies on an affluent of the river Bollin, 6 miles W by NW of Macclesfield. It has a station (Alderley Edge) on the L. & N.W.R., about a mile distant, 14 1/2 miles from Manchester, and 175 from London; also, a post office under Crewe; money order and telegraph office, Chelford. The parish includes the townships of Nether Alderley, Over Alderley, and Great Warford. Acreage of Nether Alderley, 2852 ; population of the civil parish, 517; of the ecclesiastical, 895. Alderley Edge has a height of 650 feet, commands an extensive view, and yields excellent sandstone. Alderley Park is the seat of Lord Stanley of Alderley. The park is extensive and finely wooded, containing some magnificent beech trees and a large lake, called Radnor Mere. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £750. Patron, Lord Stanley of Alderley. The parish church is an ancient stone edifice, and was restored in 1855 and 1878; it contains a fine monument in Caen stone to the first Lord Stanley.
J.H.F. Brabner, ed. “The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales,” (William Mackenzie, London, 1895).
Alderley was one of the eight ancient parishes of the Macclesfield Hundred of Cheshire. It included the following townships:
Under the Poor Law Amendment Act 1886 these townships became civil parishes in their own right. The three parishes became part of Macclesfield Rural District in 1894. On the abolition of the rural district in 1974 they became part of the new Macclesfield district, a non-metropolitan district with borough status. The Borough of Macclesfield was abolished on 1 April 2009 and the parishes were transferred to the new Cheshire East unitary authority.
Here is a list of registration districts that included Alderley from 1837, with years of inclusion.
- Macclesfield (1837-1937)
- Bucklow (1937-1974)
- Registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD and Free BMD
For more information, see the article on Civil Registration records.
Church of England (Anglican)
Alderley records at the Cheshire Record Office:
- Parish registers, 1629-1901. CRO call no.: P143/1/1-3, 2/1-2, 3/1-4, 4/1, 5/1.
- Bishop's transcripts, 1599-1837. CRO microfilm no.: EDB 2
Here is a list of Alderley parish registers on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
|Baptisms: 1629-1849 Banns of marriages: 1754, 1761-1769 Marriages: 1629-1786 Burials: 1629-1812||2147305, items 9-12|
|Baptisms, 1849-1894 Banns, 1770-1785 Marriages, 1754-1901 Burials, 1813-1861||2147322, items 1-7|
|Baptisms, 1599||1647803 Item 2|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1600, 1612-1641, 1661-1821 (with gaps)||1647803 Item 2|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1822-1837||1647804 Item 1|
In addition, the library has Phillimore's publication of "Marriages at Alderley, 1629-1837." FHL Film 88607 Item 2.
The Alderley parish has been transcribed and is available online Cheshire Parish Register project.
Other Anglican churches include:
- Alderley, St. Mary. The ancient parish church for Over Alderley. Wilmslow, St. Bartholomew. The ancient parish church for Alderley Edge. Refer to Wilmslow for Alderley Edge.
- Birtles, St. Catherine. The parish church for Over Alderley since 1890.
- Chorley (Alderley Edge), St. Philip. Built in 1853 as a chapel to Wilmslow, becoming the parish church for Chorley (near Wilmslow) and Alderley Edge in 1866. Registers of Baptisms 1853–1924 and Marriages 1866–1959 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (no burials here).
- Lindow, St John the Evangelist. The parish church for part of Alderley Edge since 1877.
- Over Alderley, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion). Built in 1863.
- Alderley Edge, St Pius X (Roman Catholic). Built in 1946. Alderley-Edge is a locality in Alderley parish.
- Alderley Edge, Baptist Chapel. Brook Lane. Founded 1890.
- Alderley Edge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1863. Registers of baptisms 1863–1979 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Church records for the Alderley Edge Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chester, 1863-1979, are at the Cheshire Record Office in Chester, England. CRO call no.: EMS 143/4916/1-2. .
- Lindow New Connexion Methodist Chapel, Alderley Edge, 1891-1962, are at the Cheshire Record Office in Chester, England. CRO call nos.: EMS 99/4916/1.
The following records are on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City:
- Baptisms, 1863-1979. FHL Film 2299417 Items 6 - 7.
- Church records for the Lindow New Connexion Methodist Chapel, Alderley Edge; baptisms, 1891-1962. FHL Film 2299417 Item 8.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More