Aldford, Cheshire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (tidy)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Cheshire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Cheshire Parishes]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] Aldford  
+
[[England]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]][[Cheshire]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]][[Cheshire Parishes]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]Aldford [[Image:Aldford Church.jpg|thumb|right|Aldford Church.jpg]]  
 
+
[[Image:Aldford Church.jpg|thumb|right]]  
+
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
ALDFORD (St. John the Baptist), a '''parish''', in the union of Great Boughton; comprising the townships of Aldford and Churton in the Higher, and those of Buerton and Edgerley in the Lower, division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50748#s25 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''](1848), pp. 26-31.</ref>
+
''In 1848'' - ALDFORD (St. John the Baptist), a '''parish''', in the union of Great Boughton; comprising the townships of Aldford and Churton in the Higher, and those of Buerton and Edgerley in the Lower, division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50748#s25 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''](1848), pp. 26-31.</ref>  
 
+
<br> Aldford St John the Baptist is an Ancient parish and&nbsp; includes: Buerton, Edgerley, Churton by Aldford, and Buerton near Chester. <br>
+
 
+
The church was built in 1866 on the site of a previous church to a design by John Douglas at the expense of Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster.<br>  
+
  
&nbsp;At the base of the tower is a list of rectors going back to about 1300.  
+
Aldford St John the Baptist is an Ancient parish and includes: Buerton, Edgerley, Churton by Aldford, and Buerton near Chester. <br>
  
The church is a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with those of St Peter's Church, [[Waverton, Cheshire]] and St Mary's Church, [[Bruera, Cheshire]].<br>  
+
The church was built in 1866 on the site of a previous church to a design by John Douglas at the expense of Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster.<br> At the base of the tower is a list of rectors going back to about 1300.<br> The church is a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with those of St Peter's Church, [[Waverton, Cheshire]] and St Mary's Church, [[Bruera, Cheshire]].<br>  
  
Aldford is a village and civil parish in the county of Cheshire, England, south of Chester in the Cheshire West and Chester Unitary authority.<br>
+
Today, Aldford is a village and civil parish in the county of Cheshire, England, south of Chester in the '''Cheshire West and Chester''' Unitary authority.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 21: Line 15:
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
  
Registration events that took place in Cheshire may be searched for online at [[Cheshire BMD]]  
+
Registration events that took place in Cheshire may be searched for on-line at [[Cheshire BMD]]  
  
 
===== Registration Districts  =====
 
===== Registration Districts  =====
Line 31: Line 25:
 
*West Cheshire (1937–74)  
 
*West Cheshire (1937–74)  
 
*Chester &amp; Ellesmere Port (1974–98)  
 
*Chester &amp; Ellesmere Port (1974–98)  
*Cheshire West (post1998)<br>
+
*Cheshire West (post1998)
  
==== &nbsp;Church Records  ====
+
==== Church Records  ====
  
Aldford parish registers registers&nbsp;of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:  
+
Aldford parish registers registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:  
  
{| width="498" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
+
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="0" class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
| align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" colspan="6" | '''<sub>FS PR's =[https://familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1614792 FamilySearch Parish Registers]</sub>'''
+
| align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" colspan="6" | '''FS PR's = [https://familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1614792 FamilySearch Parish Registers]'''
 
|-
 
|-
| align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" colspan="6" | '''<sub>FS BT's =&nbsp;[https://familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1469935 FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts]</sub>'''
+
| align="left" bgcolor="#ffffff" colspan="6" | '''FS BT's = [https://familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1469935 FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts]'''
 
|}
 
|}
  
{| width="607" align="center" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
+
{| width="100%" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
| align="center" bgcolor="#ffffcc" colspan="7" scope="col" | '''Aldford Parish Online Records'''
+
! colspan="7" | '''Aldford Parish Online Records'''
 
|-
 
|-
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | <br>  
 
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | <br>  
Line 82: Line 76:
 
Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp Family History Library] in Salt Lake City.  
 
Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp Family History Library] in Salt Lake City.  
  
{| width="704" style="width: 704px; height: 150px;" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
+
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
| Parish Registers
+
! width="75%" | Parish registers content
| Film
+
! width="25%" | FHL Film
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Baptisms, 1639-1919. Banns, 1754-1812. Marriages, 1639-1933. Burials, 1639-1812. (Includes baptisms, marriages and burials from Romily).  
 
| Baptisms, 1639-1919. Banns, 1754-1812. Marriages, 1639-1933. Burials, 1639-1812. (Includes baptisms, marriages and burials from Romily).  
Line 96: Line 90:
 
Bishop's transcripts for Aldford, 1599-1915 Microfilm of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England.<br>Cheshire Record Office reference: EDB 3  
 
Bishop's transcripts for Aldford, 1599-1915 Microfilm of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England.<br>Cheshire Record Office reference: EDB 3  
  
{| width="704" style="width: 704px; height: 150px;" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
+
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
| Bishop's Transcripts
+
! width="75%" | Bishop's transcripts content
| Film
+
! width="25%" | FHL Film
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1599, 1604-1605, 1610, 1613-1614, 1617-1620, 1622-1630, 1641, 1662-1671, 1676-1677, 1679-1685, 1691, 1695-1697, 1699, 1701-1724, 1726-1838, 1840-1841. Baptisms, burials, 1842-1850.  
 
| Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1599, 1604-1605, 1610, 1613-1614, 1617-1620, 1622-1630, 1641, 1662-1671, 1676-1677, 1679-1685, 1691, 1695-1697, 1699, 1701-1724, 1726-1838, 1840-1841. Baptisms, burials, 1842-1850.  
Line 122: Line 116:
 
Circuit records include minute books; schedule books; account books; roll books of class members; circuit plans and circuit reports. Records of churches include baptism and marriage registers; minute books; account books; roll books; correspondence; and printed material. In addition to the records referred to below, there are unlisted records relating to various circuits and churches comprising:  
 
Circuit records include minute books; schedule books; account books; roll books of class members; circuit plans and circuit reports. Records of churches include baptism and marriage registers; minute books; account books; roll books; correspondence; and printed material. In addition to the records referred to below, there are unlisted records relating to various circuits and churches comprising:  
  
*&nbsp;24 bundles, 18 other items, c.1815-1983 (CR 55; CR 459) Circuits St. John Street (CR 55/1-42; CR 55/2/1-10) This circuit was established c.1765, with headquarters at the Octagon Chapel until 1812, when the Wesleyans moved to St. John Street. It amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit in 1959.  
+
*24 bundles, 18 other items, c.1815-1983 (CR 55; CR 459) Circuits St. John Street (CR 55/1-42; CR 55/2/1-10) This circuit was established c.1765, with headquarters at the Octagon Chapel until 1812, when the Wesleyans moved to St. John Street. It amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit in 1959.  
 
*49 volumes., 1 bundle, 2 other items. 1788-1963 George Street (CR 55/130; CR 55/2/11-13; CR 78/1-38; CR 94/1-29) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1825, with headquarters in Steam Mill Street. The circuit headquarters moved to George Street in 1863 and in 1963, it amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Tarvin Road Circuit.  
 
*49 volumes., 1 bundle, 2 other items. 1788-1963 George Street (CR 55/130; CR 55/2/11-13; CR 78/1-38; CR 94/1-29) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1825, with headquarters in Steam Mill Street. The circuit headquarters moved to George Street in 1863 and in 1963, it amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Tarvin Road Circuit.  
 
*61 volumes., 10 bundles 1834-1970 Hunter Street (CR 55/133-141; CR 226/13-18, 20, 22, 24-32, 34) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1874, with headquarters in Commonhall Street. The circuit headquarters moved to Hunter Street in 1899 and in 1959, it amalgamated with St. John Street Circuit.  
 
*61 volumes., 10 bundles 1834-1970 Hunter Street (CR 55/133-141; CR 226/13-18, 20, 22, 24-32, 34) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1874, with headquarters in Commonhall Street. The circuit headquarters moved to Hunter Street in 1899 and in 1959, it amalgamated with St. John Street Circuit.  
Line 135: Line 129:
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Cheshire Probate Records|Cheshire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Cheshire Probate Records|Cheshire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
==== Census<br> ====
+
==== Census  ====
  
 
{{British Census|241232}}  
 
{{British Census|241232}}  
 
<br>
 
 
<br>
 
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
  
<span style="text-decoration: underline;" />
+
*[[Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire]]
 
+
*[[Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire]]<br>
+
  
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.  
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
  
== Web sites ==
+
== Web Sites ==
 +
 
 +
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
  
 
== References  ==
 
== References  ==
  
{{reflist}}  
+
{{reflist}}
 
+
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
+
  
 
== Bibliography  ==
 
== Bibliography  ==

Revision as of 13:08, 16 February 2013

EnglandGotoarrow.pngCheshireGotoarrow.pngCheshire ParishesGotoarrow.pngAldford
Aldford Church.jpg

Contents

Parish History

In 1848 - ALDFORD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton; comprising the townships of Aldford and Churton in the Higher, and those of Buerton and Edgerley in the Lower, division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester. [1]

Aldford St John the Baptist is an Ancient parish and includes: Buerton, Edgerley, Churton by Aldford, and Buerton near Chester.

The church was built in 1866 on the site of a previous church to a design by John Douglas at the expense of Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster.
At the base of the tower is a list of rectors going back to about 1300.
The church is a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with those of St Peter's Church, Waverton, Cheshire and St Mary's Church, Bruera, Cheshire.

Today, Aldford is a village and civil parish in the county of Cheshire, England, south of Chester in the Cheshire West and Chester Unitary authority.

Resources

Civil Registration

Registration events that took place in Cheshire may be searched for on-line at Cheshire BMD

Registration Districts

Here is a list of districts in which Aldford has been included, and the years it was included.

  • Great Boughton (1837–69)
  • Chester (1870–1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937–74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
  • Cheshire West (post1998)

Church Records

Aldford parish registers registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:

FS PR's = FamilySearch Parish Registers
FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts
Aldford Parish Online Records

Baptisms
Marriages
Burials

Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS PR's 1639-1913
  NONE
1641-1934
  NONE
1639-1858
  NONE
FS BT'S 1604-1902   NONE
1610-1882
  NONE
1641-1858
  NONE


Parish registers for Aldford, Cheshire, 1639-1982 Cheshire Record Office reference: P91/1/1-3, 2/1-2, P91/3/1-2, P91/5352/1, P91/4.
Romily or Chadkirk was a chapelry in Stockport parish.

Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.

Parish registers content FHL Film
Baptisms, 1639-1919. Banns, 1754-1812. Marriages, 1639-1933. Burials, 1639-1812. (Includes baptisms, marriages and burials from Romily). BRITISH 2106919 Items 11 - 18
Marriages, 1932-1982. Burials, 1813-1858. Churchyard graves list, 1854 BRITISH 2106920 Items 1 - 3

Bishop's transcripts for Aldford, 1599-1915 Microfilm of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England.
Cheshire Record Office reference: EDB 3

Bishop's transcripts content FHL Film
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1599, 1604-1605, 1610, 1613-1614, 1617-1620, 1622-1630, 1641, 1662-1671, 1676-1677, 1679-1685, 1691, 1695-1697, 1699, 1701-1724, 1726-1838, 1840-1841. Baptisms, burials, 1842-1850. BRITISH
1647804 Item 2
Baptisms: 1850-1857, 1862-1889, 1891-1902, 1913-1915.
Marriages: 1853-1882.
Burials: 1850-1857, 1862-1889, 1891-1902, 1913-1915.
BRITISH 1647805 Item 1


Non-Conformist Churches

Methodism was introduced into Chester c.1746 and the first local Methodist Society was formed at the home of Richard Jones in Love Lane in 1751. The growth of Methodism was encouraged by visiting preachers, including the Rev. John Wesley, who made periodic visits. In 1764, the Chester Society built the Octagon Chapel at the Bars, Foregate Street, which became the headquarters of an extensive circuit. A small group seceded from the Octagon Chapel c.1795, to form an independent society in Trinity Street, which later joined the Methodist New Connexion, also known as the United Methodist Church. In the early 1820s, Primitive Methodism, a rival branch to the Wesleyans, came to Chester. The first meeting place was in Steven Street and in 1823, a chapel was built in Steam Mill Street. Support for Primitive Methodism grew rapidly and by 1889, there were three circuits based upon Chester, as opposed to the single Wesleyan circuit.

In 1932, the three main branches of Methodism (Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodist) came together to form the Methodist Church. However, there remained four separate circuits based upon Chester until 1959 and the final unification of the circuits took place in 1963. From an early period, Methodist churches were organised in circuits, each of which was based upon a headquarters church and served by a number of preachers, who visited the churches in rotation. This organisation is reflected in the records, some of which relate specifically to the circuits and others to the numerous circuit churches, many of which have now closed.

Aldford, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1891, closed in 1979. Registers 1963–1974 are at the Cheshire Record Office.

Non-Conformist Records:

Circuit records include minute books; schedule books; account books; roll books of class members; circuit plans and circuit reports. Records of churches include baptism and marriage registers; minute books; account books; roll books; correspondence; and printed material. In addition to the records referred to below, there are unlisted records relating to various circuits and churches comprising:

  • 24 bundles, 18 other items, c.1815-1983 (CR 55; CR 459) Circuits St. John Street (CR 55/1-42; CR 55/2/1-10) This circuit was established c.1765, with headquarters at the Octagon Chapel until 1812, when the Wesleyans moved to St. John Street. It amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit in 1959.
  • 49 volumes., 1 bundle, 2 other items. 1788-1963 George Street (CR 55/130; CR 55/2/11-13; CR 78/1-38; CR 94/1-29) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1825, with headquarters in Steam Mill Street. The circuit headquarters moved to George Street in 1863 and in 1963, it amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Tarvin Road Circuit.
  • 61 volumes., 10 bundles 1834-1970 Hunter Street (CR 55/133-141; CR 226/13-18, 20, 22, 24-32, 34) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1874, with headquarters in Commonhall Street. The circuit headquarters moved to Hunter Street in 1899 and in 1959, it amalgamated with St. John Street Circuit.
  • 27 volumes. 1874-1959 Tarvin Road (CR 55/156-165; CR 94/38) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1889, with headquarters in Tarvin Road. It amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Hunter Street Circuit in 1963.
  • 9 volumes., 2 bundles. 1890-1963 Grosvenor Park (CR 55/171-173; CR 2/14-18) This circuit was established in 1959, when St. John Street Circuit amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit. In 1963, it amalgamated with George Street Circuit to form the present Chester Circuit.
  • 5 volumes., 2 bundles, 1 other item 1953-63 Chester (CR 55/2/19-25) This circuit was established in 1963.
  • 4 bundles, 3 other items 1958-82 Churches Aldford (CR 55/2/26-31) This church opened in 1891, replacing a previous church built in 1883. It closed in 1979. Its records include a baptism register, 1963-74.
  • 3 volumes., 2 docs., 1 other item 1861-1979

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Census

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241232.

Poor Law Unions

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web Sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 26-31.

Bibliography

  • Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) [1971], The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 57–58, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
  • Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, pp. 93, 95, ISBN 0 907768 18 0