Alleghany County, Virginia Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Alleghany County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 10 family history books and articles have been published about Alleghany County's families.
- Main article: Alleghany County, Virginia
- Alleghany County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum.
- Alleghany - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry.
Alleghany County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 20 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Alleghany County families include:
- Alleghany County Heritage Book Committee. Alleghany County Heritage. Summersville, W.Va.: Shirley Grose & Associates, c1997. FHL Book 975.581 H2a v. 1.
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia. Dayton, Va.: J.K. Ruebush Co., 1923. Digital version at Ancestry ($); FHL Book 975.581 H2m.
- Turk, David Scott. The Memorialists: An Antebellum History of Alleghany, Craig and Monroe counties of West Virginia, 1812-60. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, c1997. FHL Book 975.5 H2td.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Craig] Heinegg, Paul. Free African Americans of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware. 2005-present. - free online book.
- [Dean] Heinegg, Paul. Free African Americans of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware. 2005-present. - free online book.
- [Fudge] Clark, Bertha Lewis. The Fudge Family of Rockingham County, Virginia and Alleghany Co., Virginia, Monroe Co., West Virginia. Microfilmed 1971. FHL 873159 Item 1
- [Gillespie] Trimble, David B. Buchanan and Gillespie of Southwest Virginia. Austin, Texas: D.B. Trimble, 1992. FHL 975.5 D2tda.
- [Hart] Burress, Marjorie. "Hart and Skeen Family History Written in 1865," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1979):199-200. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Humphries] Humphries, R. Humphries Genealogical Chart, Descendents of John Humphries, Richpatch, Alleghany County, Virginia. Microfilmed 1993. FHL US/CAN Pedigree File no. 695.
- [King] King, Theresa Mary Fraenzel Betts. Book of Remembrance of Theresa F. King, Born 1913, Alleghany County, Virginia. MSS., microfilmed 1965. FHL 414975-FHL 414977
- [Persinger] Humphries, Howard V. The Persingers of Alleghany County, Virginia, 1750-1965. Microfilmed 1993. FHL US/CAN Pedigree File no. 693.
- [Skeen] Burress, Marjorie. "Hart and Skeen Family History Written in 1865," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1979):199-200. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Smith] Humphries, Howard V. Descendants of John Crockett Smith and Susannah Harless, Blue Spring Run, Alleghany County, Virginia. FHL US/CAN Pedigree File no. 694.
- [Smith] Machir, Violette S. Some Chapman, Jolly, Rayburn and Smith Families in W.Va. & Ohio. Middleport, Ohio: Quality Print Shop, 1966. FHL Fiche 6017211.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News