Allen County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a northeast Indiana county. For other uses, see Allen.
Guide to Allen County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Allen County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||December 17, 1823|
|County Seat||Fort Wayne|
|Address|| Allen County Courthouse|
715 S Calhoun Street #200
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Allen County Website
- 92 Towns Past and Present
- Aboite Twp.: Dunfee
- Adams Twp.: Adams Station, New Haven
- Cedar Creek Twp.: Cedarville, Grabill, Hamilton, Hursh, Leo, Urbana
- Eel River Twp.: Potter Station
- Jackson Twp.: Baldwin, Edgerton, Townley
- Jefferson Twp.: Besancon, Maples, Tillman, Zulu
- Lafayette Twp.: Aboite, Aboite Station, Nine Mile, Zanesville
- Lake Twp.: Arcola, Hadley
- Madison Twp.: Boston Corner, Centreville, Hoagland, Massilon
- Marion Twp.: Hessen Cassel, Middletown, Poe, Williamsport
- Maumee Twp.: Bluecast, Edwardsville, Woodburn
- Milan Twp.: Fairport, Gar Creek, Milan Center
- Monroe Twp.: Dixon (OH), East Liberty, Monroeville
- Perry Twp.: Carrolls, Huntertown, Hunterville, Royville
- Pleasant Twp.: Sheldon, Yoder
- St. Joseph Twp.
- Scipio Twp.
- Springfield Twp.: Cuba, Halls Corners, Harlan, Maysville
- Washington Twp.: Academie, Wallen
- Wayne Twp.: Fort Wayne, Kekionga, Lewisburg, South Wayne, Waynedale
- De Kalb
- Defiance County, Ohio
- Paulding County, Ohio
- Van Wert County, Ohio
- 190 Cemetery Names with links to a brief history, interments, and tombstone photographs
- Allen County cemetery book index
- Concordia (Old) Cemetery
- Fort Wayne Catholic Cemetery plat maps
- Fort Wayne Catholic Cemetery through 1993
- IOOF Cemetery, New Haven
- St. Paul's Cemetery, Fort Wayne BillionGraves
- Lindenwood Cemetery burial register, 1896-1918
- Lindenwood Cemetery burials, 1860-2010
- Lindenwood Cemetery plat maps
- Lindenwood Cemetery, Fort Wayne BillionGraves. Headstone photos, some more recent burials since 2005 will show here as the cemetery is photographed.
- Parker Cemetery, St. Joseph
- Prairie Grove Cemetery
- Prairie Grove Cemetery plat maps
- Riverview Cemetery
- 1840 Population Schedule, Af. Amer.
- 1850 Agricultural Schedule
- 1850 Manufacturing Schedule
- 1850 Mortality Schedule
- 1850 Population Schedule, Af. Amer.
- 1850 Population Schedule, omission from microfilm
- 1860 Agricultural Schedule
- 1860 Manufacturing Schedule
- 1860 Mortality Schedule
- 1860 Population Schedule, Af. Amer.
- 1864 Monroeville Local Census
- 1866 New Haven Local Census
- 1870 Agricultural Schedule
- 1870 Manufacturing Schedule
- 1870 Mortality Schedule
- 1870 Population Schedule, Af. Amer.
- 1880 Agricultural Schedule
- 1880 D-D-D Schedule
- 1880 Manufacturing Schedule
- 1880 Mortality Schedule
- 1880 Population Schedule, Af. Amer.
- 1910 Population Schedule
- 1910 Population Schedule, Af. Amer.
- 1940 Population Schedule
For tips on accessing Allen County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
- Allen County Church Burial Records. Years of coverage vary by church.
- Histories of 185 Churches prior to 1920
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception records, 1831-1908 (ACGSI membership required)
- St. Peters Catholic Church baptisms, 1872-1929 (ACGSI membership required)
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Fort Wayne
- 1845-1876 - First Presbyterian Church, Fort Wayne, Baptism Index 1845-1876 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch C524401.
- 1868-1873 - First Presbyterian Church, Fort Wayne, Marriage Index 1868-1873 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch M524401.
For more information about these major repositories, see Indiana Church Records.
- Applications for Naturalization, 1844-1906. Information includes name, date of application, native country. Later ones also include age, port of embarkation, and date and place of arrival.
Fold3.com ($) has Fort Wayne City Directories 1902-1923 and miscellaneous years dating back to 1861 available online.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- African-American Births, 1887-1920
- African-American Marriage Records, 1824-1920
- African-American Deaths, 1887-1920
- Genealogical Records of German Families in Allen County, Indiana, 1918. This index was taken from the "Enemy Alien Registration Files." German- or Austrian-born people who were not American citizens were required to file.
- Allen County Funeral Card Collection
- E. Harper & Sons (ACGSI membership required)
- Elzey-Dickey-Haggard (ACGSI membership required)
- McComb and Sons Funeral Home Records, 1926-1950
- Allen County Communty Album
- Who Am I - Can You Identify People, Events, or Locations or donate digital copies of photos for future possible identification.
Land and Property
- Family Maps of Allen County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Allen County development, 1823-1835
- Allen County, 1860
- Allen County, 1880
- Cemetery locations of 190 cemeteries on Google map
- Fort Wayne, panorama, 1857
- Fort Wayne Central Business District, 1929
- Kekionga, 1697-1824
- Suburban and Rural Additions, 1960
- Township Layout
Civil War service men from Allen County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Allen County.
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company D
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company G
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company C
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company H
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company I
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies F, G, and Reorganized Companies B, G, and K
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company G
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Companies D, and K
- 14th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 15th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 23rd Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, D, and Reorganized Companies A, and E
- 35th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 38th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies H, and K
- 44th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, D, G, and K
- 47th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 74th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 88th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, D, E, and F
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies H, and K
- 100th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 129th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, C, and I
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company H
- 142nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, E, F, G, and H
- 152nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies G, and H
- 155th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- Persons Exempt from Military Service, Sept. 1862
- Allen County Pensioners, Oct. 1883
- Allen County Area Servicemen & Servicewomen, 20th Century
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Obituary Index, 1841-September 2010 Web site shows name, date of obituary and name of newspaper and page for the Fort Wayne and Allen County areas. There are more than 542,000 records in the database.
In most counties in Indiana, probate records have been kept by the county clerk of the circuit court. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
- Guardianship Records, 1829-1905. Index gives the name of the ward and usually the name of the guardian, date of appointment, heir of, and volume/page of the original record.
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records records from 1824, divorce, probate and court records from 1823.
County Recorder has land records.
County Board of Health has birth, death and burial records.
- African/African-American Historical Museum
- Fort Wayne Firefighters Museum
- The History Center/Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society
- Allen County Genealogical Society
- Allen County Genealogical Society on Facebook
- Besancon Historical Society
- Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
- Four Presidents Corners Historical Society
- Huntertown Historical Society
- Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter NSDAR
- Settlers, Inc.
Family History Centers
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Indiana law in 1882 required registration of births and deaths in counties. The Indiana Department of Health has birth records filed after October 1907 and death records filed after January 1900 for deaths. Copies may be obtained from the county health department or the Indiana State Division of Vital Records. See also How to order Indiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
Marriage licenses were required by counties beginning in 1800. Original marriage records are held at the office of the Allen County, Indiana Genealogy County Clerk with divorce records located with the Allen County, Indiana Genealogy Clerk of Courts.
- 1906-1937 Monroeville Vital Records (1906-1937)
- 1907-1937 New Haven Vital Records (1907-1937)
- 1907-1937 Woodburn Vital Records (1907-1937)
- 1916-1937 Grabill Vital Records (1916-1937)
- 1877-1920 African-American Births, 1877-1920
- 1780-1992 Indiana MarriagesFamilySearch
- 1802-1892 Indiana MarriagesAncestry.com$
- 1811-1959 Indiana MarriagesFamilySearch
- 1870s-1920s Allen County Death Index, 1870s-1920s
- 1882-1920 Indiana Death Index
- 1887-1920 African-American Deaths, 1887-1920
- 1909-1937 Allen Co. Deaths (1909-1937)(sel.) (with record images)
- 1918-1920 Influenza Deaths (1918-1920)
- 1937-1948 Infirmary deaths (1937-1948)
- Allen INGenWeb Project is part of the USGenWeb Project containing links to various county resources, Biographies, Cemetery information including names, map location, and tombstone photographs, Church names and locations, Historical Photos, Obituary information, Look Up requests, Queries, and more.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Allen County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Allen County Genealogy (Indiana Genealogy)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Igiindiana.pdf.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Allen, Indiana 211 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News