Almer, DorsetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St Mary's Church Almer, Dorset
|Type||Civil parishEcclesiastical parish|
|Poor Law Union||Blandford PLU|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
ALMER, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; on an affluent of the Stour, 3½ miles S by W of Spettisbury r. station, and 7 W by S of Wimborne-Minster. It contains the hamlet of Mapperton.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241340. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870; http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 Edward Alexander Fry, The Registers of Almer, Co. Dorset, 1538-1812 (London:Privately Printed for the Parish Register Society, 1907).
- ↑ Batch P002981, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Dorset, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ Batch M002981, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Dorset, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Dorset,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Dorset Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Baptism Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Burial Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 FamilySearch does not currently provide a coverage table for its database England, Dorset, Parish Registers, 1538-1910.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More