Alpena County, MichiganEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Michigan-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Alpena County Courthouse
720 W Chisholm St.
Alpena, MI 49707
Phone: (517) 356-0115
County Clerk has birth records from 1869, marriage,
death, divorce and court records from 1871
Probate Judge has probate records
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1840--Alpena County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County and unorganized territory. It was formerly Anamickee County, until the name was changed to Alpena 8 March 1843. Alpena county was attached to Mackinac and Cheboygan Counties prior to organization 7 February 1857.
County seat: Alpena 
- City: Alpena
- Village: none
- Townships: Alpena . Green . Long Rapids . Maple Ridge . Ossineke . Sanborn . Wellington . Wilson
- Communities: Bolton . Cathro . Herron . Hubbard Lake . Lachine . Leer . Ossineke . Spratt
Alpena County is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gaylord.
Civil War service men from Alpena County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Alpena County.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch.org. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Alpena County Births, 1869-1911, and Delayed Birth (reported between 1870-1974) from the county clerk's records are available on microfilm at Alpena Public Library. Records from the 1860's to the early 1900's have been indexed and can be searched on-line using the Alpena County Library's Vital Records Index, which is published in individual .PDF files by year. Years must be searched individually (or as grouped).
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch.org. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch.org. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Alpena Family History Center
411 Long Rapids Plaza Road
Alpena, Michigan 49707
For more information about the resources available at Family History Centers, see Introduction to LDS Family History Centers.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Alpena County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Alpena County, Michigan page 343, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here