Alpine, Utah LDS Wards and BranchesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Alpine is a city at the very northern end of Utah Valley, settled in 1850. As a Mormon pioneer settlement, it has had an LDS congregation for its entire history. As of 2015, it contains three stakes, but for most of its history, Alpine was a single ward.
|If details below are missing, please consult Jenson's above for boundaries and timeline information. If circumstances permit, help future users by adding the details from Jenson's to this page. Thank you.|
Church Units and Boundaries
Alpine, Utah LDS Wards and Branches:
- Stake(s): Utah Stake (1852-1901), Alpine Stake (1901-present)
- 1930: Alpine Ward included all of Alpine City. Exact southern boundary with Highland Ward is uncertain, but probably near current city limits (1000 South).
Obtain the Records
- List of Alpine Ward Records in the Family History Library
- Alpine Ward Records in the Church History Library are catalogued under LR 10595.
- Wile, Jennie Adams (1982) Alpine Yesterdays: A History of Alpine, Utah County, Utah
- Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p 15-16.
- Online through BYU Books. (Free) In the Text search box, type the town or unit name and click Go. Select page numbers (tiny) at the right to see the page.
- Also available through Ancestry.com ($).
Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.
This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of Mormons in this area.
- 10 February 1852: Mountainville Branch is organized as part of the Utah Stake.  
- 19 September 1852: A bishop is ordained, although the congregation is likely still a branch with both a presiding elder and bishop. 
- 19 January 1855: Alpine City is incorporated; around this time, Mountainville Branch comes to be called Alpine Ward.
- 13 January 1901: Alpine Ward is included as part of the newly formed Alpine Stake.
- 12 May 1963: Alpine 2nd Ward is organized, while the new American Fork Stake leaves only Alpine and Highland in the Alpine Stake.
- 10 August 1980: Highland Utah Stake is organized, leaving only the City of Alpine as the Alpine Utah Stake.
- 23 June 1996: Alpine Utah North Stake is organized.
- 1 June 2003: Alpine Utah West Stake is organized
- ↑ Wild, Jennie Adams (1982) Alpine Yesterdays: A History of Alpine, Utah County, Utah
- ↑ Journal History of the LDS Church, 2/10/1852
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Alpine Ward Record of Members
- ↑ Journal History of the LDS Church, 9/19/1852
- This page was last modified on 18 October 2015, at 17:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,175 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News