Alpine County, California GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 23:28, 9 May 2012 by Murphynw
For tips on accessing Alpine County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Carson (River) Trail 1848 (aka Mormon Emigrant Trail) crossed the Forty Mile Desert past the west side of the Carson Sink to pick up the Carson River near Fallon, Nevada up to Hope Valley and Red Lake. The Devil's Ladder then climbed 700 feet (210 m) in half a mile so ropes, chains, and pulleys were required to lift the wagons. Carson Pass was followed by the relatively easy West Pass (Kirkwood, California) and then on to Pollock Pines, Placerville, and Sutter's Fort, California
- Big Tree Road (Ebbetts Pass) 1851 from western Nevada to Markleeville, Murphys, and Stockton, California
- Sonora Road 1852 from the Carson Trail to Sonora, California
- Luther Pass Trail 1854 connected the Carson Trail and Johnson's Cutoff and allowed travelers to avoid Lake Tahoe. It became one of the routes to the Comstock Lode in Nevada
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Alpine County CAGenWeb Project
- Alpine County, California Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News