Altcar, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Altcar St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Little Altcar.Great Altcar is a village and civil parish in the West Lancashire District.
Little Altcar is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton on Merseyside, on the West Lancashire Coastal Plain of England. The village has been absorbed into Formby.
The name Altcar is Norse meaning 'marsh by the River Alt'.
The church of St Michael and All Angels is a timber framed structure dating from 1879.
ALTCAR St Michael, a parish, in the union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the County of Lancaster, is 6 miles west by south from Ormskirk. Little Altcar is a hamlet adjacent to Formby.
Altcar was one of only a few Lancashire parishes which had no known chapelries attached to it.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Altcar has the following ranges of years for transcriptions available. They are found at the following websites:
Aldingham parish registers and Dendron (its chapelry) registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed for numerous years and by the following groups:
|AC =Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP =FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|LOPC=Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|ALTCAR PARISH (1663) Indexes|
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306899. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 44-49. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50753 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.