Amador County, California GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Amador County Courthouse
500 Argonaut Lane
Jackson, CA 95642
Clerk of the Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records.
County Archives has naturalization records.
1862: Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Amador County Cemetery Board has a database of tombstone transcriptions giving name, year of birth, year of death, and cemetery where buried. Further information and photos may be on the USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project.
- LDS Cemetery Records, Vol. 21, page 1 - a cemetery located in the county.
For tips on accessing Amador County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
For historical maps, search the following free sites:
• Maps-Historical-State of California, the California government's site. Links to American Memory (Library of Congress), California Missions, and the State Library
• California Maps - HSU Library, also lists and links to gazetteers
For topographical maps of California mountains, rivers, etc., try the sites listed at USGS Topographic Maps of California.
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Carson (River) Trail 1848 (aka Mormon Emigrant Trail) crossed the Forty Mile Desert past the west side of the Carson Sink to pick up the Carson River near Fallon, Nevada up to Hope Valley and Red Lake. The Devil's Ladder then climbed 700 feet (210 m) in half a mile so ropes, chains, and pulleys were required to lift the wagons. Carson Pass was followed by the relatively easy West Pass (Kirkwood, California) and then on to Pollock Pines, Placerville, and Sutter's Fort, California
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
For marriages from 1854-1885 see the Western States Marriage Index.
- Amador County CAGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Amador County, California. Page 84 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News