American Indian Cultural GroupsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 38:||Line 38:|
Latest revision as of 11:10, 6 May 2012
The purpose of this wiki is to guide the user to records that will assist them in finding records of individual Indians and to document their family history and genealogy. The following list is given to illustrate the possible ties and associations with other tribes of the same culture grouping. All tribes are not included.
Please do not contribute additional information to this wiki regarding the cultural areas- Thank You
The cultural groups for the Indians of North America and some of the tribes belonging to each are:
- Arctic Culture: Aleut and Inuit
- California Culture: Achomawi (Pit River Indians), Cahuilla, Chimariko, Chumash, Costanoan, Cupeno, Diegueno, Esselen, Gabrieleno, Hupa, Karok, Luiseno, Maidu, Miwok, Pomo, Salinas, Shasta, Tolowa, Wintun, Yahi, Yokuts, Yuki, Yurok
- Great Basin Culture: Bannock, Paiute, Shoshone, Ute, Washoe
- Great Plains Culture: Arapaho, Arikara, Assiniboine, Blackfeet, Cheyenne, Comanche, Crow, Gros Ventre, Hidatsa, Ioway, Kaw, Kiowa, Mandan, Missouria, Omaha, Osage, Otoe, Pawnee, Ponca, Quapaw, Sarcee, Sioux, Tonkawa, Wichita
- Northeast Culture: Abenaki, Algonkin, Chippewa, Erie, Huron, Illinois, Iroquois (Cayuga, Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Seneca & Tuscarora), Kickapoo, Lenni Lenape (Delaware), Mahican, Milisett, Massachuset, Menominee, Meskwaki (Fox), Miami, Micmac, Mohegan, Motauk, Nanticoke, Narragansett, Neutral, Niantic, Nipmuc, Ottawa, Passamaquoddy, Pennacook, Penobscot, Pequot, Potawatomi, Powhatan, Roanoke, Sac, Shawnee, Susquehanock, Tionontati, Wimpanoag, Wappinger, Winnebago
- Northwest Coast Culture: Bella Coola, Chinook, Coos, Cowichan, Duwamish, Haida, Kalapuya, Kwakiutl, Makah, Nisqually, Nootka, Puyallup, Quileute, Quinault, Squaxon, Takelma, Tlingit, Tsimshian, Umpqua, Yaquina
- Northwest Coast Culture: Bella Coola, Chinook, Coos, Cowichan, Duwamish, Haida, Kalapuya, Kwakiutl, Makah, Nisqually, Nootka, Puyallup, Quinleute, Quinault, Squaxon, Takelma, Tlingit, Tsimshian, Umpqua, Yaquina
- Plateau Culture: Cayuse, Coeur d'Alene, Columbia, Flathead, Kalispel, Klamath, Klickitat, Kootenai, Modoc, Nez Perce, Ntlakyapamuk, Okanagan, Palouse, Umatilla, Spokan, Stuwihamuk, Walla Walla, Wanapam, Wishram, Yakama
- Southeast Culture: Alabama, Apalachee, Atakapa, Caddo, Calusa, Catawba, Chitimacha, Choctaw, Coushatta, Creek, Lumbee, Mobile, Natchez, Seminole, Shakori, Timucua, Tunica, Yamasee, Yazoo, Yuchi
- Southwest Culture: Akimel O'odham (Pima), Apache, Coahuiltec, Havasupai, Hopi, Hualapai, Karankawa, Keres, Mojave, Navajo, Pueblo Indians, Tewa, Tiwa, Tohono O'odham, Towa, Yaqui, Yavapai, Yuma, Zuni
- Subarctic Culture: Ahtena, Beaver, Beothuk, Carrier, Chipewyan, Chippewa (Ojibway), Cree, Dogrib, Han, Hare, Ingalik, Koyukon, Kutchin, Montagnais, Naskapi, Slavey, Tanaina, Tanana, Yellowknife
- Caribbean Tribes: Arawak (Taino)
- MesoAmerican Civilizations: Aztec, Maya, Olmec, Toltec
- Others: Metis, Mission Indians, Mound Builders, Prairie Indians, Prehistoric Indians
For additional information about culture see other web sites detailing cultural groups of the natives of North America.
- This page was last modified on 6 May 2012, at 11:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,911 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback