American Indian Cultural GroupsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The purpose of this wiki is to guide the user to records that will assist them in finding records of individual Indians and to document their family history and genealogy. The following list is given to illustrate the possible ties and associations with other tribes of the same culture grouping. All tribes are not included.
The cultural groups for the Indians of North America and some of the tribes belonging to each are:
- Arctic Culture: Aleut and Inuit
- California Culture: Achomawi (Pit River Indians), Cahuilla, Chimariko, Chumash, Costanoan, Cupeno, Diegueno, Esselen, Gabrieleno, Hupa, Karok, Luiseno, Maidu, Miwok, Pomo, Salinas, Shasta, Tolowa, Wintun, Yahi, Yokuts, Yuki, Yurok
- Great Basin Culture: Bannock, Paiute, Shoshone, Ute, Washoe
- Great Plains Culture: Arapaho, Arikara, Assiniboine, Blackfeet, Cheyenne, Comanche, Crow, Gros Ventre, Hidatsa, Ioway, Kaw, Kiowa, Mandan, Missouria, Omaha, Osage, Otoe, Pawnee, Ponca, Quapaw, Sarcee, Sioux, Tonkawa, Wichita
- Northeast Culture: Abenaki, Algonkin, Chippewa, Erie, Huron, Illinois, Iroquois (Cayuga, Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Seneca & Tuscarora), Kickapoo, Lenni Lenape (Delaware), Mahican, Milisett, Massachuset, Menominee, Meskwaki (Fox), Miami, Micmac, Mohegan, Motauk, Nanticoke, Narragansett, Neutral, Niantic, Nipmuc, Ottawa, Passamaquoddy, Pennacook, Penobscot, Pequot, Potawatomi, Powhatan, Roanoke, Sac, Shawnee, Susquehanock, Tionontati, Wimpanoag, Wappinger, Winnebago
- Northwest Coast Culture: Bella Coola, Chinook, Coos, Cowichan, Duwamish, Haida, Kalapuya, Kwakiutl, Makah, Nisqually, Nootka, Puyallup, Quileute, Quinault, Squaxon, Takelma, Tlingit, Tsimshian, Umpqua, Yaquina
- Northwest Coast Culture: Bella Coola, Chinook, Coos, Cowichan, Duwamish, Haida, Kalapuya, Kwakiutl, Makah, Nisqually, Nootka, Puyallup, Quinleute, Quinault, Squaxon, Takelma, Tlingit, Tsimshian, Umpqua, Yaquina
- Plateau Culture: Cayuse, Coeur d'Alene, Columbia, Flathead, Kalispel, Klamath, Klickitat, Kootenai, Modoc, Nez Perce, Ntlakyapamuk, Okanagan, Palouse, Umatilla, Spokan, Stuwihamuk, Walla Walla, Wanapam, Wishram, Yakama
- Southeast Culture: Alabama, Apalachee, Atakapa, Caddo, Calusa, Catawba, Chitimacha, Choctaw, Coushatta, Creek, Lumbee, Mobile, Natchez, Seminole, Shakori, Timucua, Tunica, Yamasee, Yazoo, Yuchi
- Southwest Culture: Akimel O'odham (Pima), Apache, Coahuiltec, Havasupai, Hopi, Hualapai, Karankawa, Keres, Mojave, Navajo, Pueblo Indians, Tewa, Tiwa, Tohono O'odham, Towa, Yaqui, Yavapai, Yuma, Zuni
- Subarctic Culture: Ahtena, Beaver, Beothuk, Carrier, Chipewyan, Chippewa (Ojibway), Cree, Dogrib, Han, Hare, Ingalik, Koyukon, Kutchin, Montagnais, Naskapi, Slavey, Tanaina, Tanana, Yellowknife
- Caribbean Tribes: Arawak (Taino)
- MesoAmerican Civilizations: Aztec, Maya, Olmec, Toltec
- Others: Metis, Mission Indians, Mound Builders, Prairie Indians, Prehistoric Indians
For additional information about culture see other web sites detailing cultural groups of the natives of North America.
- This page was last modified on 8 May 2014, at 16:01.
- This page has been accessed 3,311 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News