Angelina County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Angelina County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Angelina County Courthouse
PO Box 908
Lufkin, TX 75902-0908
County Clerk has some birth records from 1875, death records
from 1903, marriage, probate and land records from 1846;
District Clerk has divorce records; County Clerk and District
Court have court records from 1920
1846--Angelina County was created April 22, 1846 from Nacogdoches County.
Angelina is named for a Hainai Native American woman who assisted early Spanish missionaries and was named Angelina by them.
1891--Angelina County Courthouse at Homer burned on November 19, 1891. Many of the county records - including those in the assessor's office and the justice of the peace office were destroyed. 
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Texas Cemeteries for more information.
Additional Cemetery Databases
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
- Angelina County Area Churches - listing of churches in the area
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
- Land Survey Abstract Indices of the Original Land Owners of Texas - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Family Land Heritage Registry First Edition - USGenWeb Archives Project
Local histories are available for Angelina County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- 1914 Map of Angelina, Gregg, Harrison, Cherokee, Houston, Nacogdoches, Panola, Rusk, San Augustine, Shelby, Smith & Trinity at www.rootsweb.com
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Map of Angelina County - Library of Congress
- 7th Texas Cavalry
- WWII Casualties Army and Airforce - Access Genealogy
- Civil War Pension Confederate Pension Applications On file at the Texas State Library and Archives for Angelina County - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Indigent Families of Angelina County - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Civil War Muster Rolls - USGenWeb Archives Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Angelina County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Lufkin Daily News
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Angelina County Clerk - access to probate records
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Angelina County Tax Assessor - property taxes
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Angelina County Marriages - TXGenWeb
- Angelina County Clerk - access to marriage records, birth certificates, death certificates and wills
Societies and Libraries
- Kurth Memorial Library - Lufkin Texas
- Angelina County Genealogical Society
- Angelina County Historical Commission
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project - records from Angelina County
- Angelina County - TXGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List - Links to state and county resources
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Angelina County, Texas. Page 658 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Angelina County - Handbook of Texas Online http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hca03
- ↑ Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelina_County,_Texas
- ↑ GenDisasters.com - Homer, TX Courthouse Fire, Nov 1891 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/7309/homer-tx-courthouse-fire-nov-1891
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News