Annagh Civil Parish, County Mayo Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Ireland]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[County Mayo]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] Annagh Civil Parish
+
''[[Ireland]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Counties of Ireland]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[County Mayo]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[County Mayo Parishes]]'' [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[{{PAGENAME}}]]<br><br>
 
+
 
The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Annagh. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.  
 
The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Annagh. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.  
  
 
== Historical Overview  ==
 
== Historical Overview  ==
  
=== History<br> ===
+
=== History<br> ===
  
 
ANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Castlebar to Frenchpark; containing, with the post-town of Ballyhaunis, 6885 inhabitants. This place was chiefly distinguished for a cell of Franciscan friars, though by some writers said to have been founded by Walter de Burgh for brethren of the order of St. Augustine, as a cell to the abbey of Cong, and to have been the burial-place of Walter, Lord Mac William Oughter, who was interred here in 1440. The parish comprises 16,325 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally under tillage; and there is a sufficient quantity of bog. Logboy is the residence of E. Nolan, Esq., and Hollywell, of J. Bourke, Esq. A weekly market and annual fairs are held at Ballyhaunis, which see. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Kiltullagh: the tithes amount to £194. 19. 11. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Ballyhaunis and Tulrahan. The old monastery at the former place is still occupied by friars of the order of St. Augustine. There are eight pay schools in the parish, in which are about 390 boys and 230 girls.  
 
ANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Castlebar to Frenchpark; containing, with the post-town of Ballyhaunis, 6885 inhabitants. This place was chiefly distinguished for a cell of Franciscan friars, though by some writers said to have been founded by Walter de Burgh for brethren of the order of St. Augustine, as a cell to the abbey of Cong, and to have been the burial-place of Walter, Lord Mac William Oughter, who was interred here in 1440. The parish comprises 16,325 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally under tillage; and there is a sufficient quantity of bog. Logboy is the residence of E. Nolan, Esq., and Hollywell, of J. Bourke, Esq. A weekly market and annual fairs are held at Ballyhaunis, which see. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Kiltullagh: the tithes amount to £194. 19. 11. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Ballyhaunis and Tulrahan. The old monastery at the former place is still occupied by friars of the order of St. Augustine. There are eight pay schools in the parish, in which are about 390 boys and 230 girls.  
  
From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at [http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Annagh-Costello-Mayo.php http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Annagh-Costello-Mayo.php] &nbsp;br&gt;
+
From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at [http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Annagh-Costello-Mayo.php http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Annagh-Costello-Mayo.php] &nbsp;br&gt;  
  
 
=== Localities<br>  ===
 
=== Localities<br>  ===
Line 24: Line 23:
  
 
Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.  
 
Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.  
 +
 +
Tran<span style="line-height: 1.5em;">s</span><span style="line-height: 1.5em;">cripts of the memorial inscriptions for Waldrons who were buried in the Ballyhaunis Parish Cemetery from 1896-2002. The cemetery is located in the townland of Abbeyquarter, in a place called Fox Hill. This Parish Cemetery is still known by the locals as "The New Cemetery," as it was opened in 1884, when the local Board of Guardians closed St. Mary's Augustinian Abbey Cemetery or the Friary, Ballyhaunis. Explanatory notes provide family relationships, and other genealogical information for each inscription.&nbsp;</span>[https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/1330985 Waldron Memorials in the Parish Cemetery, Ballyhaunis]
  
 
=== Census  ===
 
=== Census  ===
Line 38: Line 39:
  
 
Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes. <br>  
 
Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes. <br>  
 +
 +
The Catholic parish of Annagh includes the civil parish of Annagh. The modern name of the Catholic parish is Ballyhaunis.
 +
 +
{| width="250" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"
 +
|-
 +
| colspan="2" | [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/423502 Family History Library]
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms
 +
| 1851-1924
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages
 +
| 1852-1902
 +
|}
  
 
===== Church of Ireland  =====
 
===== Church of Ireland  =====
Line 89: Line 103:
 
Add sources here.  
 
Add sources here.  
  
[[Category:Ireland]]
+
[[Category:County Mayo]]

Revision as of 15:08, 21 November 2013

Ireland Gotoarrow.png Counties of Ireland Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Parishes Gotoarrow.png Annagh Civil Parish, County Mayo Genealogy

The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Annagh. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.

Contents

Historical Overview

History

ANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Castlebar to Frenchpark; containing, with the post-town of Ballyhaunis, 6885 inhabitants. This place was chiefly distinguished for a cell of Franciscan friars, though by some writers said to have been founded by Walter de Burgh for brethren of the order of St. Augustine, as a cell to the abbey of Cong, and to have been the burial-place of Walter, Lord Mac William Oughter, who was interred here in 1440. The parish comprises 16,325 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally under tillage; and there is a sufficient quantity of bog. Logboy is the residence of E. Nolan, Esq., and Hollywell, of J. Bourke, Esq. A weekly market and annual fairs are held at Ballyhaunis, which see. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Kiltullagh: the tithes amount to £194. 19. 11. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Ballyhaunis and Tulrahan. The old monastery at the former place is still occupied by friars of the order of St. Augustine. There are eight pay schools in the parish, in which are about 390 boys and 230 girls.

From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Annagh-Costello-Mayo.php  br>

Localities

List the names of townlands in this civil parish List the names of the surrounding parishes List the names and give a description of a district, poor law union, etc.

Maps and gazetteers

Add a Web site link for a map or gazetteer site, and/or add a printed source. Read more about maps and gazetteers.

Records

Cemeteries

Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.

Transcripts of the memorial inscriptions for Waldrons who were buried in the Ballyhaunis Parish Cemetery from 1896-2002. The cemetery is located in the townland of Abbeyquarter, in a place called Fox Hill. This Parish Cemetery is still known by the locals as "The New Cemetery," as it was opened in 1884, when the local Board of Guardians closed St. Mary's Augustinian Abbey Cemetery or the Friary, Ballyhaunis. Explanatory notes provide family relationships, and other genealogical information for each inscription. Waldron Memorials in the Parish Cemetery, Ballyhaunis

Census

The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.

Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.

Church records

Read general information about church records.

Catholic

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

The Catholic parish of Annagh includes the civil parish of Annagh. The modern name of the Catholic parish is Ballyhaunis.

Family History Library
Baptisms 1851-1924
Marriages 1852-1902
Church of Ireland

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Presbyterian

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Methodist

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Society of Friends

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Others

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Civil Registration

Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.

Land records

The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.

Probate records

Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.

Add information about probate records for this parish.

School records

Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.

Tax records

The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.

Web Sites

Add a site for this civil parish.

Further Reading

Add sources here.