Antony, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
ANTONY, a parish and a subdistrict, in the district of St. Germans, Cornwall. The parish is called also Anthony-in-East and St. Jacob Anthony; lies on Lynher creek and the Hamoaze, 4 miles S of Saltash r. station, and 4 SE of St. Germans. 
Antony St James the Great is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish include: St Jacob, West Antony, and Wilcove.
The medieval parish church is located in Antony at OS grid reference SX 399 547. Dedicated to St James, the church includes structural elements from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. The church houses memorials to members of the Carew family of Antony (18th century) and a large monumental brass to Margery Arundell, 1420
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Overview, Incude information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch under Records. Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 7.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/antony.php
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Antony.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241259. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdictions over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary Jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable Web sites are:
Web sitesAdd here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
|This Cornwall-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More