Apache County, Arizona GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Apache County, Arizona|
Location in the state of Arizona
Location of Arizona in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1864|
|County Seat||St. Johns|
|Address|| PO Box 667|
70 West 3rd South
Apache County Courthouse
Clerk of The Court Apache County
P.O. Box 365
St. Johns, Arizona 85936
Phone: (928) 337-4364
Clerk Superior Court has marriage, divorce probate and court frecords from 1879
County Recorder has land records from 1879 
Apache County was created 14 Feb 1879 from Yavapai
When it was created in 1879, Apache County contained all of what is now Navajo County until the county was split in March, 1895 leaving a total area of 11,218 square miles (29,054.5 km2).
You may wish to search for places in the Family History Library Catalog. You can search for the more general term, such as "Arizona" and then add the county and town or city, such as "Arizona, Apache, St. Johns."
A more complete list of place names with references can be found at PlaceNames.com. For a more exhaustive list of Arizona place names see Barnes, Will C., and Byrd H. Granger. Arizona Place Names. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1960. WorldCat 479862
For links to the places, see the County Place Name list at the bottom of this page.
- Catron County, New Mexico
- Cibola County, New Mexico
- McKinley County, New Mexico
- Montezuma County, Colorado
- San Juan County, New Mexico
- San Juan County, Utah
For tips on accessing Apache County, Arizona Genealogy census records online, see: Arizona Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records: Alpine, Amity, Cooley, Eagar, Greer, Nutrioso, Omer, St. Johns, Union and Vernon.
The general trial courts in Arizona are the county Superior Courts. The contact information for the Superior Court is as follows:
Apache County Superior Court
PO Box 667
70 West 3rd South
St. Johns, Az 85936-0667
Phone: (928) 337-7555
Fax: (928) 337-7586
There is also an Apache County Superior Court Website. The Superior Court handles all cases including general civil litigation, probate, conservatorships, guardianships, juvenile cases, divorces and criminal.
The Family History Library has an Index to District Court papers, Apache County, Arizona [1881-1916] Vault US/CAN Film Number FHL 2310860
Land records from 1986 to the present are searchable online at the Apache County Recorder's Office.
- 1,728 marriages from 22 May 1879 to 16 Nov 1930 are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
Societies and Libraries
Apache County Historical Society
180 W. Cleveland
St. Johns, AZ 85936
Hours 9-5 M-F
White Mountain Historical Society
504 East Mohave St.
Springerville, AZ 85938
Hours 11-2 Thurs.-Sat., June-Aug.
Family History Centers
Chinle, Apache, Arizona, United States
467 N Butler
Eagar, Apache, Arizona, United States
St Johns Arizona
50 North 1st West
St Johns, Apache, Arizona, United States
These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Apache County, Arizona Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Apache County, Arizona p. 56. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ WorldCat 50140092 FHL CollectionHandybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
|This Arizona-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.