Arapahoe County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Arapahoe County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Arapahoe County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1861|
|Address|| Araphaoe – Arapahoe County Courthouse|
5334 S Prince Street
Littleton, CO 80166-0001
Arapahoe County Website
First formed in 1855 as Territorial County. See Kansas 1860 for census records.
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1902 burial records to 1941; County Court has divorce, probate and court records
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
1 November 1861: Arapahoe County was created as an original county in Colorado Territory.
Business Records and Commerce
- Evergreen Cemetery, Deer Trail, Arapahoe county, Colorado - transcription at town web site.
- Littleton Cemetery, Littleton BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
The Colorado Genealogical Society's 1885 Colorado State Census - Arapahoe County PDF File with every name indexed
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Arapahoe County Old Age Pension Records 1933-1936. An Index compiled from the offical record of the applications granted by the Arapahoe County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of pension payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
- Biographies of Prominent Families of Littleton, Arapahoe, Colorado.
- Early History of Littleton, Arapahoe, Colorado.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1888-1923 - Littleton Independent aka Littleton Gazette online at Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection - free.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colorado State Archives has put an Index to the Arapahoe County Poor Hospital Records for 1895-1899 on-line.
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Colorado State Archives web site has Arapahoe county Probate cases 1902-1937.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Aurora Colorado Family History Center
- Littleton Colorado Family History Center
- Arapahoe Library District
12855 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Website http://www.arapahoelibraries.org/ www.arapahoelibraries.org/
- Aurora Public Library
14949 E Alameda Parkway
Aurora, CO 80012
- Englewood Public Library
1000 Englewood Parkway
Englewood, CO 80110
- Littleton/Bemis Public Library
6014 S. Datura St.
Littleton, CO 80120
- Columbine Genealogical and Historical Society
P.O. Box 2074
Centennial, CO 80161-2074
- Sheridan Historical Society
4101 S. Federal Blvd.
Sheridan, CO 80110-5399
- Aurora Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 31732
Aurora, CO 80041-0732
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
- Arapahoe County COGenWeb]
- Family History Library Catalog
- Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Alraphoe County, Colorado. Page 97At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Colorado Online Historical Newspapers, https://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home/usa/co, accessed 19 July 2013.