Arendal, Aust-Agder, Norway GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Microfilm at the Family History Library for Arendal by (Arendal city). Contains priest and sexton records from Trinity parish in Arendal city. the Trinity parish was separated from Holt clerical district in 1705. Parish registers exists from 1703 until 1927.
For 1804 christenings see Øyestad
Digitized parish registers online at Digitalarkivet [Digital Archives]
- Sogneprestenes manntall 1664-1666. The 1664-166 census for Arendal is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. This census was taken by the local parish priests. It lists the name of the farms, names of farm owners (including widows), the sons of the farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and their sons, and the ages of each person. There was another census taken by the civil authorities at this same time. Both censuses should be searched as they supplement each other. This clerical census is more complete.
- Fogdernes og sorenskrivernes manntall 1664-1666. The 1664-1666 census for Arendal is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. This census was taken by the local civil authorities. It lists the names of the farms, farmowners (including widows), sons of farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and sons of cottagers and the age of each person. The clerical authorities took a census during this same time period. Both censuses should be used as they supplement each other. The clerical census is more complete.
- 1701: Manntall 1701 optatt av fogderi, sorenskrivere og sogneprester ifølge kongebrev av 26 juli 1701. This 1701 census for Arendal is availble on microfilm at the Family History Library. The census of 1701 was taken for military purposes. It lists only the males living in rural districts who were over the age of one year. It includes the farm name, name and age of the owner, names and ages of sons and servants. Also includes the residence of all unmarried males living away from home when the census was taken.
- 1801: Folketelling 1 Feb 1801, Norge. The 1801 census for Arendal is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. The 1801 census (b. 33) for Arendal city lists the street name and number, person's name, position in the household, age, marital status, and occupation.
A typewritten edition with indexes is available on microfiche. It is called "Mikrokortutgåva av 1801-teljina".
Also available online in a searchable database at Digital Archives (Digitalarkivet).
- 1815: 1815 folketelling for Arendal prestegjeld (Aust-Agder). The 1815 census for Arendal is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. The 1815 census for Arendal clerical district which includes Arendal city. Includes the head of household (or his widow), his wife, children, servants, sex, age and some miscellaneous information.
1709-1779 Arendal and Risør City judicial district probates
1779-1880 Arendal City judicial district probates
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News