Argentina Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The term genealogy is used in this Wiki article and in the Family History Library Catalog to describe a variety of records containing family information gathered by individuals, other researchers, societies, or archives. These records may include pedigree charts, compiled information on families, correspondence, ancestor lists, research exchange files, record abstracts, and collections of original or copied documents. These can be excellent sources of information that can save you valuable time. Because they are compiled from other sources of information, they must be carefully evaluated for accuracy.
Major Collections and Databases
The Family History Library has several sources that contain previous research or can lead you to others who are interested in sharing family information. These sources include:
International Genealogical Index (IGI). The index provides names and vital information for thousands of deceased persons who lived in Argentina. This valuable research tool lists birth, christening, or marriage dates and places. The index for Argentina includes names extracted from parish registers by volunteers and names submitted by other researchers. The International Genealogical Index is available on microfiche, on compact disc as part of FamilySearch™, and on the Internet at: http://www.familysearch.org.'If you are using IGI on microfiche, you need to know which country to search. If you are using the compact disc edition, however, the computer will search the entire region for any name.
Ancestral File. This file contains family history information linked in family groups and pedigrees. The file contains the names of over 36 million persons.
Family Group Records Collection. More than eight million family group record forms have been microfilmed in the Family Group Records Collection. This includes many Argentinian families. There are two major sections: the Archive Section and the Patrons Section. The film numbers for both sections are listed in the Author/Title section of the Family History Library Catalog under family group records collection.
Family Histories.Some Argentinian families have produced histories or newsletters that may include genealogical information, biographies, photographs, and other excellent information. These usually include several generations of the family. The Family History Library has a few published Argentinian family histories. Copies at the Family History Library are listed in the Surname section of the Family History Library Catalog. Not every name found in a published family history will be listed in the Family History Library Catalog. Only the major surnames discussed in the family history are included in the catalog.
Unpublished family histories are sometimes found in the possession of private individuals in Argentina. These private individuals may have collected a variety of unpublished records pertaining to their own families. But such materials are generally inaccessible for research unless you can establish contact with the appropriate individuals.
Some examples of Argentinian family histories are:
- Lazcano Colodrero, Arturo G. de. Linajes de la gobernación del Tucumán (Lineage of the Government of Tucumán). Three Volumes.
- Córdoba: Establecimiento Gráfico "La Docta", 1936–1969. (FHL book 982.43 D2l; film 1103951 [Volume 1], 0896929 item 4 [Volume 2].) This book has genealogies of some of the leading families of the province of Tucumán. It also has an index.
- Castellano Sáenz Cavia, Rafael M. Familias de Traslasierra, jurisdicción de Córdoba (Families of Traslasierra, Jurisdiction of Córdoba). Buenos Aires, Argentina: Dekagraph, 1969. (FHL book 982.54 D2c) has genealogies of families for Córdoba and it includes a bibliography.
Your local public library or university library may have family histories and genealogies in their collections. Check with them.
The Family History Library has some collections of genealogical material for Argentinian families.
These may include published and unpublished collections of family histories and lineages, as well as the research files of prominent and recognized genealogists. A major genealogical collections is:
- Revista (Review). Buenos Aires,Argentina: El Instituto, 1942–51. (FHL book 982 D2gr; film 1410935 item 1–2 [Number 8–10].) Journal of the Argentine Institute of Genealogical Sciences.
The following collections have the families listed in alphabetical order, and may list place of origin, information about ancestors, their places of residence and social positions, coat of arms, and some coats of arms, etc.
- Calvo, Carlos. Origen de Familias en la República Argentina (The origin of families in the Republic of Argentina). Buenos Aires, Argentina: Biblioteca del Señor Narcisco Binayan, 1975. (FHL films 1102913–1102917.)
| Surnames a–c | FHL film 1102913 |- | Surnames c–g | FHL film 1102914 |- | Surnames g–n | FHL film 1102915 |- | Surnames n–s | FHL film 1102916 |- | Surnames s–z | FHL film 1102917 |}
- Calvo, Carlos. Nobiliario del antiguo Virreynato del Río de la Plata (Nobility of the Old Viceroyalty of Rio de la Plata). Buenos Aires, Argentina: Libretria y Ediorial "La Facultad" Bernabé, 1924, 1936–43. (FHL film 1103946–1103949.)
| Primera Parte A–Z | FHL film 1103949
|- | Tomos 1–2 A–H, I–Z | FHL film 1103946 |- | Tomos 3–4 A–G, H–Z | FHL film 1103947 |- | Tomos 5–6 A–G, H–Z | FHL film 1103948 |}
Some provinces in Argentina also have genealogical organizations or societies that create family genealogies and publish them. Examples of genealogical publications from the Center for Genealogical Studies (Centro de Estudios Genealogicos) from Buenos Airies and Córdoba include:
- Revista del Centro de Estudios Genealogicos de Buenos Aires(Review of the Center for Genealogical Studies of Buenos Aires). Buenos Aires, Argentina: El Centro 1979. (FHL book 982 D25r.)
- Boletin del Centro de Estudios Genealogicos de Córdoba(Bulletin of the Center for Genealogical Studies of Córdoba). Córdoba, Argentina: El Centro, 1972–. (FHL book 982 D25b.)
Additional Collections at the Family History Library
Genealogical collections are listed in the Family History Library Catalog by doing a Place Search under:
ARGENTINA - GENEALOGY
ARGENTINA, (PROVINCE) - GENEALOGY
ARGENTINA, (PROVINCE), (TOWN) - GENEALOGY
If you find your surname in any of the sources described in this section, determine whether the entry actually pertains to your family. All persons with the same surname are not necessarily related.
Often, you will have to do some original research before you can connect your ancestry to families listed in these sources.
Genealogical organizations that publish family histories
Centro Vasco Frances
Calle Moreno 1368
Capital Federal, Argentina
Centro Laurak Bat
Calle Belgrano 1144
Capital Federal, Argentina
Instituto de Estudios Genealógicos y
Heráldica de la Provincia de Buenos Aires
Casilla de Correo 324
1800 La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sociedad Argentina de Genealogía Judia
Calle Juana Azurduy 2223 piso 8
1429 Capital Federal, Argentina
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More