Arizona, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Arizona, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 .
This Collection will include records from 1861 to 1865.
This is an index to compiled service records for Confederate soldiers from Arizona. The records indexed are from the National Archives and Records Administration publication M318. Service records were kept for each Confederate soldier. Those records, or their abstracts, were compiled into individual files. Each envelope/jacket contains information and cross references to original records relating to the soldier. The records in this collection are for the years 1861 to 1865. This index was created to provide quick access to compiled service records. The information in this index is quite reliable. However, keep in mind that even though this index is very accurate it still may contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings or misinterpretations.
The records are in individual files which usually include the following:
- Soldier's name
- Dates of service
- Military unit
- Military branch
How to Use the Record
To search this collection using the index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
Compare the information in the records to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination. If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names. Keep in mind that even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned. When you have located your ancestor’s service record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the age and location of the military unit to find the soldier’s family in census, church and land records.
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have served in the same unit or a nearby unit.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Civil War in Arizona
- Civil War Soldier Search - Confederate Service Records
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
- Footnote $ Compiled service records for Confederate Soldiers from Arizona.
- Ancestry $ Searchable Civil War service records.
- The Civil War in Arizona / New Mexico Territory A brief history of Arizona in the Civil War.
Related Wiki Articles
- Confederate Service Records
- Arizona Military Records
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 2
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Arizona, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Compiled Service Records of Conferedate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations From the Territory of Arizona." Fold3.com. http://www.fold3.com : n.d.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News