Arizona Bible RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A family Bible is a designation given to a Bible which has family information recorded on pages within the book. This has been a tradition among many families and is a good source of information about immediate family members and relatives, including names of parents, children, their spouses as well as their dates of birth, marriage and death. This is a valuable resource because, if the information is recorded as the event occurs, the information is regarded as being reliable. Also, for some families, Bible records may have the only recorded vital statistics information. Generally, family Bibles are passed down to succeeding generations, but those that are no longer in possession of the family may be at a historical or genealogical society.
Online Family Bible Resources
- USGenWeb Archives
- Many periodicals publish family data from Bible records. These are referenced in the "Families" section of the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), described in the "Periodicals" section.
- Bible Records Online
- Ancestor Hunt: Bible Records
- Library of Virginia, Family Bible Records The Library of Virginia has acquired originals and photocopies of over 6,800 family Bible records. These materials have been cataloged and are searchable as part of the Archives and Manuscripts Catalog.
- Daughters of American RevolutionThe Daughters of the American Revolution collection contains some Bible records from Arizona. This collection is described in Arizona Compiled Genealogies under “Daughters of the American Revolution.”
- Your Guide to Finding Ancestors in Family Bible Records
- Library of Congress Seach for "bible records."
- Index to Early Bible Records
- Arizona Genealogy and History: Bible Records
There are many local and state collections of Bible records. You may wish to do a search online with the words "bible records" and the locality of origin of your ancestors.
Family History Library Collections
- The Family History Library (FHL)has several collections of family Bible records including the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and county collections. These records can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog at www.familysearch.org using a Place Search under:
- Arizona - BIBLE RECORDS
- Arizona,[name of County] - BIBLE RECORDS
- Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States: 45,500 References as Taken from the Microfilm at the Genealogical Society of Utah. Two Volumes. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984. Other Libraries (WorldCat)FHL fiche 6089184; FHL book 973 D22kk
- This page was last modified on 13 August 2015, at 03:19.
- This page has been accessed 4,642 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News