Arkansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about the southern U.S. state. For other uses, see Arkansas (disambiguation).
Welcome to the Arkansas page,
the Natural State
Most unique genealogical features:
- AR marriage indexes exist since 1820
- No civil birth records in AR before 1881. In some counties none til 1914
- Fort Smith court had jurisdiction in Oklahoma Indian Territory until 1896
Major RepositoriesArkansas History Commission · Downtown Branch Central Arkansas Library System · Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives · University of Arkansas · National Archives Southwest Region (Ft. Worth) · Dallas Public Central Library
Early Migration Routes
Arkansas River · Mississippi River · Ouachita River · Red River · St. Francis River · White River · Butterfield Overland Mail · California Road · Great Osage Indian Trail or Old Wire Road · Natchitoches Trace · Southwest Road · Tombigbee and Arkansas River Trail · Trail of Tears · Frisco Railway · Texas and Pacific Railway
The best collection of published biographies in Arkansas is at the University of Arkansas Library. Also search the biographical sections of statewide, regional, and county histories for biographical information. In 1889 and 1890 the Goodspeed Publishing Company published a series of regional biographical encyclopedias. Most have recently been reprinted and are indexed. For further details see Arkansas Biography.
Did You Know?Before 1900 the largest religious groups in Arkansas were the Baptist and Methodist Episcopal (now United Methodist). The Family History Library has many church records for Arkansas and several histories of local churches.
- The ARGenWeb Project provides county information about formation date, parent county, county seat, bibliography, cemeteries, census, churches, towns, history, look ups, obituaries, queries, repositories, surname registry, and many Internet links.
Things you can do
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News