Ashbourne with Mapleton, DerbyshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Ashbourne with Mapleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created early from Ashbourne Ancient Parish and Mapleton Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Hulland Ward Intakes, Hulland Ward Indaks, Mapleton, Hulland Ward, Newton Grange, Mappleton, Yieldersley, Hollin Ward, Holland Ward, Offcote and Underwood, Sturston, Yeldersley, and Hulland.
The parish comprises 7043 acres. The Living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Mappleton united, valued in the king's books at £5. 4. 7.; net income, £134; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church, erected in 1240 by Hugh de Patishull, Bishop of Coventry, is a spacious cruciform structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a central tower surmounted by a lofty and richly ornamented octagonal spire: the interior has lately undergone extensive repairs and embellishments. The northern part of the chancel, appropriated as a sepulchral chapel to the Boothby family, contains, among others, an exquisitely sculptured monument by Banks, to the memory of Penelope, only child of Sir Brooke Boothby, who died at the age of five years: this is said to have suggested to Chantrey the design of his celebrated monument in Lichfield cathedral. At Alsop, Clifton, and Parlich are additional churches. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, and others. The free grammar school was founded in 1585, under a charter of Queen Elizabeth, and endowed with estates purchased by the inhabitants, from the proceeds of which, £131. 10. per annum, with a house and garden, are given to the master, and £65. 15., with a house, to the usher. An English school was founded in 1710, and endowed with £10 per annum, by Nicholas Spalden, for the instruction of thirty boys, till they should be fit to enter the grammar school; he also endowed a school for thirty girls under twelve years of age, the mistress of which has £10 per annum. In addition to these, a national school is carried on; a savings' bank was erected in 1843, and there are several almshouses, founded at various periods, and some of them endowed with considerable funds. The poor-law union of Ashbourn comprises 61 parishes and townships, of which 17 are in Staffordshire. In the neighbourhood formerly stood a chapel dedicated to St. Mary, which previously to its being taken down some years ago, was used as a malt-house.
From: 'Arvans, St - Ashburton', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 77-81. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50761 Date accessed: 24 March 2011.
YELDERSLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Ashbourn, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Ashbourn; containing 211 inhabitants.
From: 'Yeading - Yettington', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 716-719. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51437 Date accessed: 24 March 2011.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mapleton like this:
MAPPLETON, a village and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The village stands on the river Dove, at the boundary with Stafford, 1¾ mile NW of Ashborne r. station; is a pleasant place; has a post office under Ashborne, a bridge over the Dove, and a good inn; and is a resort of anglers. The parish comprises 778 acres. Real property, £2,202. Pop., 185. Houses, 39. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. G. Johnson, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Ashborne, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is good; and has a dome, surmounted by an urn. There are alms houses for three widows of clergymen, and some other charities.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of neighboring parishes, use Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback