Ashby's 7th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized during the late spring of 1861.
- In October authority was given to increase its size, and by the summer of 1862 the regiment contained twenty--nine companies.
- In June 1862 it was reduced to ten companies (Ten companies formed the 12th Regiment Virginia Cavalry, seven became the 17th Battalion Virginia Cavalry, one transferred to the 14th Regiment Virginia Cavalry, --and one became J. W. Carter's Battery.)
- The unit served in W. E. Jones', Rosser's, and J. Dearing's Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia.
- It took part in Jackson's Valley Campaign and the conflicts at Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, Upperville, Fairfield, Bristoe, Mine Run, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania, and Cold Harbor.
- Later the regiment was involved in Early's Shenandoah Valley operations and disbanded in mid--April, 1865.
- None of its members were at Appomattox on April 9.
- Field officers: Colonels Turner Ashby, Richard H. Dulany, William E. Jones, and A. W. McDonald; Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Marshall; and Majors 0. R. Funsten, Daniel C. Hatcher, and Samuel B. Myers.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A
- Company B
- Company C
- Company D
- Company E
- Company F
- Company G
- Company H
- Company I
- Company K
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News