Ashtabula County, Ohio Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Vital Rec intro added)
|Line 161:||Line 161:|
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
===== Birth =====
===== Birth =====
Revision as of 00:50, 27 January 2013
|Ashtabula County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Ashtabula Co. Courthouse|
25 West Jefferson Street
Jefferson, Ohio 44047
Ashtabula County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Geauga and Trumbull Counties 10 February 1807.
- County Seat: Jefferson
- Neighboring Counties: Ashtabula County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in 
Trumbull (south) · Crawford (east) · Mercer County, Pennsylvania (southeast) · Lake (west) · Geauga (southwest)
See an interactive map of Ashtabula County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
- Some Cemeteries in Ashtabula County with photos and transcriptions can be found on the Ashtablula County Genealogy Society's Website.
- Austin Cemetery - Austinburg | Beal Family Farm Cemetery -Cherry Valley | Denmark Cemetery - South Denmark
East Trumbull Cemetery - Trumbull Township | Hartsgrove Cemetery - South East | Hall Road - Pierpont
Lake Road Cemetery -Kingsville | Maple Grove - Andover | Mount Pleasant Cemetery - Geneva
Pioneer Cemetery - Windsor | Roberts Cemetery - Wayne Township | Windsor Cemetery - Windsor
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Ashtabula County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ashtabula County.
Naturalization and Citizenship
The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio 4626 Park Ave. Ashtabula, OH 44004
Ashtabula County Courthouse
25 W Jefferson Street
Jefferson, OH 44047
Probate Court has birth and death records 1867-1908, marriage records from 1811 and probate records from 1880’s.
County Health Department has birth and death records from 1909.
Court Clerk has divorce records from 1811 and court records from 1800’s.
County Recorder has land records from 1800.
Family History Centers
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Ashtabula County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- A great source for transcribed records pertaining to Ashtabula County, Ohio, is the Ashtabula County site at USGenWeb. The site contains a multitude of databases, including obituaries, probate, military, tax lists,marriages as early as 1811, squirrel hunter records and many more -- all searchable through the main page.
- Another website with multiple databases of transcribed records is Genealogy Trails. The Ashtabula County section includes many marriages, births from 1867, obituaries & death records. Not all databases are complete.
* North Kingsville
* Roaming Shores
* Rock Creek
* Cherry Valley
* New Lyme
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 540, Ashtabula County, Ohio. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Ashtabula County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News