Australia PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most genealogical and historical societies in Australia publish magazines and newsletters. The articles often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Helpful articles on research methodology.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers.
In addition, excellent state, regional, and ethnic group publications are available.
The following is a helpful list of periodicals published in Australia:
- Periodicals in Print: Australia, New Zealand, and Papua New Guinea. Melbourne, Australia: D. W. Thorpe, 1994–. (Family History Library Call Number 994 A35a.) This source includes a list of all periodicals published in Australia in 1994. More recent editions should be available in Australia.
There are also many periodicals which are published in the countries from which Australians came. Many of these periodicals contain helpful articles for those tracing Australian ancestry.
Most periodicals have annual or cumulative indexes. Also many indexes that include several different magazines and periodicals. Indexes can be found in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
AUSTRALIA, [STATE]- PERIODICALS - INDEXES
AUSTRALIA, [STATE]- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS - INDEXES
AUSTRALIA, [STATE], [TOWN]- PERIODICALS - INDEXES
AUSTRALIA, [STATE], [TOWN]- SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS - INDEXES
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. For more information about obtaining addresses for local societies, see Australia Societies. Major archives and libraries with genealogical collections will also have copies of many periodicals, particularly those archives and libraries representing the area which they serve. Often, you may order a periodical from these archives and libraries through interlibrary loan, or they may make copies of the article for you.
The Family History Library subscribes to numerous periodicals. These periodicals are listed in the FamilySearch Catalog. If you know the author or title of a periodical, search the FamilySearch Catalog under the title or author. To find periodicals in the Place Searches:
AUSTRALIA, [STATE]- [SAME TOPICS AS ABOVE]
AUSTRALIA, [STATE], [TOWN]- [SAME TOPICS AS ABOVE]
[COUNTRY OF ORIGIN]- [SAME TOPICS AS ABOVE]