| BYU Family History Library|
Harold B. Lee Library atrium at Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
E-mail: Ask a Librarian
- Harold B. Lee Library
- P.O. Box 26800
- Brigham Young University
- Provo, UT 84602-6800
- Information Commons 801–422–2927
- Family History/Genealogy 801–422-7661
- Mon – Thurs: 9am to 9pm
- Fri: 9am to 6pm; Sat: 10am to 6pm
- 2nd & 4th Sundays: 10am to 7:30pm
- Holiday Hours
Directions, map, and parking
Internet sites and databases:
- BYU Harold B. Lee Library Internet site, books & more, articles & more, subject guides, databases, journals, collections, today in the library, ask, reserve a group study room.
- BYU Harold B. Lee Library Catalog Online, net I.D. required.
- Family history and genealogy resources, Internet sites, records, societies, reference, family histories.
- General databases A-Z list of thousands, many of which are available off-campus.
Census, vital birth, marriage, death, and divorce records, obituaries, cemeteries, immigration, land, Latter-day Saints, military, archives CDs, libraries and historical societies, reference books, family and local histories, periodicals, newspapers, biography, city directories, African American records, maps, government documents, digital archives, FamilySearch, Ancestry.com, Cyndi’s List, Footnote.com, GenForum, HeritageQuest Online, Rootsweb.com, AltaVista, Google, Teoma, Yahoo.
The library also acts as a Family History Center with access to microfilms of the Family History Library.
Staff at the BYU Family History Library have annotated the old Family History Library Research Outlines to identify what resources are also housed at the BYU facility:
Alabama · Alaska · Arizona · Arkansas · California · Colorado · Connecticut · Delaware · Florida · Georgia · Hawaii · Idaho · Illinois · Indiana · Iowa · Kansas · Kentucky · Louisiana · Maine · Maryland · Massachusetts · Michigan · Minnesota · Mississippi · Missouri · Montana · Nebraska · Nevada · New Hampshire · New Jersey · New Mexico · New York · North Carolina · North Dakota · Ohio · Oklahoma · Oregon · Pennsylvania · Rhode Island · South Carolina · South Dakota · Tennessee · Texas · Utah · Vermont · Virginia · Washington · West Virginia · Wisconsin · Wyoming ·
- Free family history classes are taught on Sundays, click here, or telephone 801-422-6200.
If you cannot visit or find a record at the BYU Family History Library, a similar record may be available at one of the following.
Repositories with significant Latter-day Saint collections
- BYU Center for Family History and Genealogy, Provo.
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, 450 computers, 3,400 databases, 3.1 million microforms, 4,500 periodicals, 310,000 books of worldwide family and local histories, civil, church, immigration, ethnic, military, Mormon records.
- Church History Library, Salt Lake City, LDS history 1830-now: diaries, manuscripts, Church records, photographs, oral history, architectural drawings, pamphlets, newspapers, periodicals, maps, microforms, audiovisual material
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Salt Lake City, the Museum displays artifacts, and the History Department collects and preserves about 100,000 histories of pioneers who set out for, settled, or were born in Utah by 10 May 1869.
- Utah State Historical Society, Salt Lake City, family histories, photographs, books, manuscript collections, directories, maps, newspapers, yearbooks, and periodicals are available in the Research Center and online.
- Utah State Archives, SLC, newspaper, death, land, court, history, naturalization, military, directories, criminal.
- Utah State University, Logan, Special Collections and Archives local historical and biographical sources.
- University of Utah, SLC, history, biography, newspapers, government documents, and Western Americana.
- United States District Court of Utah federal court records.
- Utah County Court local court records.
- Provo City Library, history, newspapers, obituaries, cemeteries, FamilySearch, HeritageQuest, death certificates.
- Salt Lake City Public Library Utah newspapers on microfilm, and genealogical databases.