Babraham, CambridgeshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
BABRAHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Linton. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church of England: Babraham, St. Peter
- Parish records begin in 1561
- Bishop Transcripts begin in 1599
>Parish registers for Babraham, 1561-1876 are on FHL Film # 1040364 Items 14-23 at the Family History Library or through a Family History Center.
>Bishop Transcripts for Babraham, 1599-812 are on FHL Film # 1485266 at the Family History Library or through a Family History Center.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241223. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions / Records
The Overseers accounts from 1829-1837 are on FHL Film # 1040403 Items 1-8 available at the Family History Library and a Family History Center.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cambridgeshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ 2. Lewis, Samuel A., Topographical Dictionary of England, publ. London: 1831; see at: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=445
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More