Baldwin County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a southwest Alabama county. For other uses, see Baldwin.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Baldwin County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1809|
|County Seat||Bay Minette|
County CourthouseBaldwin County Courthouse
1 Court Square
PO Box 239
Bay Mintre, AL 36507
Phone: (334) 937-9561
The Probate Court has marriage records from 1810,
probate records from 1809 and land records from 1808.
The Clerk of the Circuit Court has divorce and court records.
Baldwin County initially fell within the bounds of Mississippi Territory.
- 1896-1935 - Baldwin County, Alabama Colored Marriage Books 3-5 in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free.
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Alabama Minorities has information specific to Alabama African Americans.
Biographies of many notable residents of Baldwin County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 376.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. Census Bureau|
For tips on accessing Baldwin County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
- 1855 - Population Index to the 1855 Baldwin County Census at Ancestry ($). Includes heads of household.
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Baldwin County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Baldwin County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2006. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.121 E7bg.
- Comings, Lydia Jane Newcomb et al. A Brief History of Baldwin County. Fairhope, Ala.: Baldwin County Historical Society, 1928. Digital versions at Ancestry ($); FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 976.121 H2c.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Civil War Battles Fought in Baldwin County
- 1864 - August 2-23 = Mobile Bay, also known as Passing of Forts Morgan and Gaines, (partly fought in Mobile County)
- 1865 - March 27-April 8, 1865 = Spanish Fort
- 1865 - April 2-9 = Fort Blakely
Battle information from Civil War Battle Summaries by State, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
Map showing Civil War battles in Alabama, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
- 1816 - Inhabitants of Alabama in 1816. Broken Arrow Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1955. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Baldwin County.
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Baldwin County is in District 1.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1801-1930 - Baldwin County, Alabama Marriage Licenses, Records, and Books 1-3 in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Alabama Voting Registers for 1867 are available online at the Alabama Department of Archives and History.
Baldwin County has three books:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- 28721 County Road 13
Daphne, Baldwin, Alabama, United States
Hours: T 10am-2pm; W 6:30-8:30; Th 12-4pm
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Baldwin County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 35.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Coverage Table, "Alabama County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," FamilySearch Research Wiki, https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Alabama_County_Marriages_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records), accessed 6 August 2012.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News