Balla Civil Parish, County Mayo

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(added template)
 
Line 5: Line 5:
 
== Historical Overview  ==
 
== Historical Overview  ==
  
=== History<br> ===
+
=== History<br> ===
  
Add a brief statement about historical background, including a Web site link if available.<br>
+
BALLAGH, or BAL, a market-town and '''parish''', in the barony of CLANMORRIS, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Castlebar; containing 1586 inhabitants, of which number, 343 are in the town. This town is situated on the road from Castlebar to Claremorris, and is intersected by a small river, which has its source in the vicinity: it consists of one long street containing 75 houses, all of modern erection, and has a cheerful and pleasing appearance. The market is on Tuesday; and fairs are held on June 11th, Aug. 12th, Sept. 26th, and Oct. 15th, which are among the largest in the county for cattle and sheep; there are two smaller fairs on the 1st of May and 7th of October. A penny post has been established between this town and Ballyglass. Here is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions for the district are held every Tuesday in the court-house, a neat building of modern erection.
 +
 
 +
The lands are partly under tillage and partly in pasture, and for fertility are thought equal, if not superior, to any in the county. Limestone abounds in the parish, and is quarried for building and agricultural purposes. Athevalla, the seat of the Rev. Sir F. Lynch Blosse, Bart., is a handsome mansion nearly adjoining the town; and Ballagh Lodge, the seat of H. Waldron, Esq., and Logatiorn, of W. M. Fitzmorris, Esq , are also in the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, with the rectories and vicarages of '''Rosslee and Minola '''episcopally united, forming the union of Ballagh, in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory constitutes the corps of the prebend of Ballagh in the cathedral church of St. Mary, Tuam: the tithes amount to £175, and the prebend is returned as of the value of £190 per annum; and the tithes of the whole, both rectorial and vicarial, amount to £395, which is received by the prebendary, who is also rector of the union. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. Divine service is occasionally performed in the courthouse.
 +
 
 +
In the'''R. C. divisions''' the parish is the head of a union or district, '''comprising also the parishes of Drum, Rosslee, and Minola, and containing two chapels, one in the town''', a good slated building, and '''the other at Balcarra'''. A school-room has been erected, at an expense of £200, in which about 200 boys and 100 girls are instructed; and there are two hedge schools in the parish, in which are about 68 boys and 22 girls. St. Mochuo, or Cronan, who died in 637, founded a monastery here, of which he became the first abbot. This place is at present distinguished for the remains of an ancient round tower, which, though the upper part is wanting, is still about 50 feet high. Near it are the ruins of a small church, of the same kind of stone, and apparently of similar workmanship, in one of the walls of which is a monumental inscription of great antiquity. There are two small chapels, built on arches over the river that runs through the town, and great numbers of people resort thither annually to perform special devotions. A well, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, with a small chapel attached, is attended by great numbers of the peasantry at patrons held on the 15th of August and 8th of September. About two miles from the town is Castle Derowil, and about three miles distant is Brieze Castle, both square buildings of the ordinary character.
 +
 
 +
&nbsp;
 +
 
 +
From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at:
 +
 
 +
[http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/B/Ballagh-Clanmorris-Mayo.php http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/B/Ballagh-Clanmorris-Mayo.php]
  
 
=== Localities<br>  ===
 
=== Localities<br>  ===

Revision as of 21:32, 8 September 2011

Ireland Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Gotoarrow.png Balla Civil Parish

The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Balla. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.

Contents

Historical Overview

History

BALLAGH, or BAL, a market-town and parish, in the barony of CLANMORRIS, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Castlebar; containing 1586 inhabitants, of which number, 343 are in the town. This town is situated on the road from Castlebar to Claremorris, and is intersected by a small river, which has its source in the vicinity: it consists of one long street containing 75 houses, all of modern erection, and has a cheerful and pleasing appearance. The market is on Tuesday; and fairs are held on June 11th, Aug. 12th, Sept. 26th, and Oct. 15th, which are among the largest in the county for cattle and sheep; there are two smaller fairs on the 1st of May and 7th of October. A penny post has been established between this town and Ballyglass. Here is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions for the district are held every Tuesday in the court-house, a neat building of modern erection.

The lands are partly under tillage and partly in pasture, and for fertility are thought equal, if not superior, to any in the county. Limestone abounds in the parish, and is quarried for building and agricultural purposes. Athevalla, the seat of the Rev. Sir F. Lynch Blosse, Bart., is a handsome mansion nearly adjoining the town; and Ballagh Lodge, the seat of H. Waldron, Esq., and Logatiorn, of W. M. Fitzmorris, Esq , are also in the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, with the rectories and vicarages of Rosslee and Minola episcopally united, forming the union of Ballagh, in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory constitutes the corps of the prebend of Ballagh in the cathedral church of St. Mary, Tuam: the tithes amount to £175, and the prebend is returned as of the value of £190 per annum; and the tithes of the whole, both rectorial and vicarial, amount to £395, which is received by the prebendary, who is also rector of the union. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. Divine service is occasionally performed in the courthouse.

In theR. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Drum, Rosslee, and Minola, and containing two chapels, one in the town, a good slated building, and the other at Balcarra. A school-room has been erected, at an expense of £200, in which about 200 boys and 100 girls are instructed; and there are two hedge schools in the parish, in which are about 68 boys and 22 girls. St. Mochuo, or Cronan, who died in 637, founded a monastery here, of which he became the first abbot. This place is at present distinguished for the remains of an ancient round tower, which, though the upper part is wanting, is still about 50 feet high. Near it are the ruins of a small church, of the same kind of stone, and apparently of similar workmanship, in one of the walls of which is a monumental inscription of great antiquity. There are two small chapels, built on arches over the river that runs through the town, and great numbers of people resort thither annually to perform special devotions. A well, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, with a small chapel attached, is attended by great numbers of the peasantry at patrons held on the 15th of August and 8th of September. About two miles from the town is Castle Derowil, and about three miles distant is Brieze Castle, both square buildings of the ordinary character.

 

From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at:

http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/B/Ballagh-Clanmorris-Mayo.php

Localities

List the names of townlands in this civil parish List the names of the surrounding parishes List the names and give a description of a district, poor law union, etc.

Maps and gazetteers

Add a Web site link for a map or gazetteer site, and/or add a printed source. Read more about maps and gazetteers.

Records

Cemeteries

Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.

Census

The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.

Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.

Church records

Read general information about church records.

Catholic

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Church of Ireland

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Presbyterian

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Methodist

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Society of Friends

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Others

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Civil Registration

Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.

Land records

The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.

Probate records

Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.

Add information about probate records for this parish.

School records

Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.

Tax records

The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.

Web Sites

Add a site for this civil parish.

Further Reading

Add sources here.