Ballard County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Ballard County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 15, 1842|
Ballard County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
Ballard County Courthouse
424 Court Street
PO Box 145
Wickliffe, KY 42087-0145
Courthouse burned in 1880
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1880.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and probate records.
Carlisle County was created entirely from Ballard County on May 3, 1886,
1880--A fire destroyed most records, but many land documents were re-entered into the court files in the next several years. See extracts from many of those files on land records at KYGenWeb Project, Ballard County, Kentucky
Places / Localities
|Bandana||Gage||La Center||New York|
- Alexander County, Illinois
- Massac County, Illinois
- Mississippi County, Missouri
- Pulaski County, Illinois
- Kentucky African American Griots has more information about the kinds of records
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Lookup volunteers who own books listing cemetery burials through Ballard County KYGenWeb will look up information.
- Ballard Co. KYGenWeb Cemeteries Page has a list of the county cemeteries and recent photos of many, as well as some grave listings.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Ballard Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Ballard County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Ballard County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Ballard County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
♦ Ballard Co. KYGenweb Church Records includes Bible records and some church histories.
♦ Baptist Roots at Rootsweb has many records.
♦ Ballard Co., KY Genweb "A Few Ballard County Churches" contains numbers on church affiliations and some photos of Ballard County churches.
♦ Baptist History Homepage - lots of transcribed Baptist documents
♦ Southern Baptist Historical Library and Archives - a fine research resource
♦ Access Genealogy "Kentucky Bible Records"
Court - contact the County Clerk for actual records
Ballard County Court Clerk
Ballard County Courthouse
132 North 4th Street
Wickliffe, KY 42087
♦ Ballard Co., KYGenWeb Indexes to Deeds: After the courthouse fire in 1880, many land transactions were re-recorded. Many are indexed and extracted here.
♦ Ballard County, KY: medical account book of Dr. W.A. Moffitt of Kevil, KY
Author Don Simmons
Publisher Simmons Historical Publications, 1993
Length 87 pages
♦ Ballard/Carlisle Counties Genealogical Society (see link below)
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Lookups in local history books
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb 1880 Map with post offices (includes Carlisle Co.)
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Military Records & Sources - list of sources
♦ Kentucky Casualties in Korean Conflict NARA - see what National Archives holds
♦ Kentucky Casualty/MIA/POW Vietnam NARA - see what National Archives holds
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Extraction of Wills (1880 - 1918 complete)
♦ 1879-1924 - Will Book A (1879-1924) has been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
♦ Family History Library Catalog- listings of books and microfilm
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Ongoing transcription of tax records (1843 & 1848 complete)
♦ KY Death Records - Index to Kentucky deaths from years 1911 to 2000 (free)
♦ KY Deaths from 1852-1953 - actual copies of death certs or records (pay site)
♦ Social Security Death Index - modern death record dates (free)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Library
320 Birch St
Paducah, McCracken, Kentucky, United States
Phone: 270-443-8381 (call first, hours may change)
Hours: T 10am-3pm; Th 9:30am-2pm; Sat: 10am-4pm
♦ Ballard County Library
Ballard/Carlisle/Livingston Public Library System
132 North Fourth Street
Wickliffe, KY 42087
Contact: Mainord, Sonya
P.O. Box 428
Bardwell, KY 42023-0428
- Ballard County KYGenWeb project. Pages of photos, maps, family research, links.
- Ballard County KY Kindred Trails. No information but lots of links
- Family History Library Catalog
- BallardCounty, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
♦ Kentucky Genealogical Society Bluegrass Roots (back issues)
♦ PERSI (largest index of genealogical periodicals♦ Local History and Genealogy Reading Room from the National Government
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kootenai, Idaho page 178, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News