Barbados Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Barbados Church Records
Church of England
Bishop's transcripts covering the 1640s and 1650s were found in the Public Record Office in England (now The National Archives). They were published 100 years ago and are now available online (see Marriages).
- 1648-1652 - "Marriages at the Cathedral, Bridgetown, Barbados," Caribbeana, Vol. 1 (1910):33-34. Digital version at dLOC - free.
Burials registered in some of Barbados's early Church of England parishes (more than 170,126 burial entries) are available on the website Tombstones.bb.
The records have been microfilmed and are widely available through the Family History Library's satellite Family History Center system. Some are also online:
Barbados Church of England vestry minutes survive from the 1650s for some parishes. See Court Records.
- Cadbury, Henry J. "Clergymen Licensed to Barbados, 1694-1811," The Journal of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society, Vol. 15, No. 2 (Feb. 1948):62-69. FHL LAT AM 972.981 B2j v. 15 1947-48
- List and Index Society. Calendar of Letters from Canada, Newfoundland, Pennsylvania, Barbados and the Bahamas 1721-1793: Preserved at the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. London: Swift (P & D), 1972. FHL Collection BRITISH Large Q Book 942 B4pro spec. ser. v. 5
A wiki article describing this collection is found at:
By the 1650s early Quaker colonists arrived in Barbados from the British Isles, and soon spread their religion from Barbados to the east coast of America. An article that describes Quaker records about Barabados is:
- Dwight A. Radford, and Arden C. White, "The Irish in Barbados," The Irish at Home and Abroad: A Newsletter of Irish Genealogy and Heritage, Vol. 2, No. 3 (1994/1995):92-97. (FHL Book 941.5 D25ih v. 2 (1994/1995)) WorldCat entry.
- ↑ The editor of these records stated additional bishop's transcripts for the Leeward Islands were at Fulham Palace, in the custody of the Bishop of London in 1910, but he did not have permission to publish them.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Name Search at Genealogical.com is a comprehensive name index to 638 books and CDs published or reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company (now Genealogical.com). For a complete list of the works included, see Publications in Name Search at Genealogical.com
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback