Barnstable, MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
5 March 1638: Mentioned in a list of those "allowed to exercise men in Armes",... "ffor Barnestable... Mr. Thom Dimmack..." (Ply. Col. Rec. Vol. XI, p.30)
11 April 1989: Town charter adopted which established city form of government.
Archiac name: Chequocket, Chuckomug, Coa or Cotuit, Cokachoise, Cotachesett, Cummaquid, Kokachoise, Mattakeeset, Mistic, Moskeehtucketqut, Peymechit, Santuite, Satuite, Sepoese, Sepuit, Sipnesset, Skonkonet, Skunkamug, Tamahappaseeacon, Washkotussoo, Wequaquet, Yanno's Land.
Section/Villages within the town: Centerville, Cotuit, Craigville, Cummaquid, Grand Island, Hyannis, Hyannis Port, Marston's Mills, Newtown (extinct), Osterville, Oyster Harbors, Pondsville (extinct), Sandy Neck, Santuit, South Hyannis (extinct), West Barnstable, West Hyannisport, Wianno.
17 June 1641: Bounds between Barnstable and Yarmouth established.
2 March 1652: Bounds between Barnstable and Sandwich to be established.
11 March 1658: Barnstable and Yarmouth agreed upon bounds.
3 June 1662: Additional lands granted to Barnstable.
10 June 1662: Bounds between Barnstable and Sandwich to be established.
29 October 1672: Bounds between Barnstable and Sandwich established.
22 January 1795: Bounds between Barnstable and the district of Mashpee established.
28 March 1894: Bounds between Barnstable and Mashpee established.
24 April 1916: Bounds between Barnstable and Mashpee established and part of Sandwich annexed.
Beechwood Cemetery (1834)
corner of Rte. 28 and Main St.
Centerville Ancient Cemetery (1707)
Cobb Hill East and West Cemetery (1718)
Rte. 6A, Mill Way Rd
Crocker Parker Cemetery (1950s)
Cummaquid Cemetery (1846)
Mary Dunn Rd
East and West Hillside Cemetery
Old Mill Rd
First Baptist Church Cemetery (1802)
Hyannis Ancient Cemetery
Lothrop Hill Cemetery (1694)
Main St., Rte 6A
Marstons Mills Cemetery (1775)
Old and New Mosswood Cemetery (1819)
Oak Grove Cemetery (1868)
near 15 Sea St.
Oak Neck Cemetery (1800)
Oak Neck Road
Old West Barnstable Cemetery (1712)
corner Rte. 149 and 6A
St. Francis Xavier Catholic Cemetery (1929)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church Memorial Garden
St. Patrick's Cemetery (1832)
Barn and Elm Sts.
Sandy Street Cemetery (1796)
South Street Cemetery aka Paupers Cemetery (1737)
Universalist Cemetery (1826)
Centennial celebrations, etc.
Church History and Records
Description and travel
Land and property
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News